General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power seat rail plastic bushings - 2002 Camaro

Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power seat rail plastic bushings - 2002 Camaro

I'm installing a driver's side power seat on the passenger side of my 02 SS...so I am reversing some brackets and in doing so, removed the rails from the tracks .Each of the 4 rails has 4 plastic bushings attached. They help the rails slide smoothly in the tracks. While it's apart, I want to replace them. Any idea where I can find these ? Anyone have the parts diagram with part numbers ? Thanks !

Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

Ecklers or classic industries?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That would be #31 in the diagram? Those are listed as NS (Not Serviced) - GM considers them part of the track (#30 and #32) so there's no part number available.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Please report back if you can find this. GM only offered the entire seat track as a part and didn't put this piece out as a separate part/wear item.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Every car I've had regardless of make has considered those a permanent part. Anytime I have to deal with those or plastic window slides I check for breaks or cracks and if they're ok I lightly file rough edges of the metal track and spray some white silicone spray in the track so it slides easier. The trick with the spray is to go almost parallel to the track. If you spray straight on it turns into a cloud that doesn't taste very good lol
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

Great help guys and thanks. Crazy that it's not a separate part. Funny that the rear 4 are the ones that have cracks and bits missing and the ones at the front of the rails are perfect. All are serviceable so I will reverse the locations whenI put it back together. Good advice on the lube technique... lol.
Since it's going to be a passenger seat, I'm not going to obsess about it .
btw, I'm new here... Is there somewhere that has the parts diagrams for the car ?
Again , I appreciate the help.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Funny thing with seats that nobody ever thinks about is that they're essentially levers. The pivot point being the rear most mounts. The weight of the passenger and seat back are right near the pivot and depending how far forward or back the seat is will determine how much strain everything is under. The front mount is really just there to keep everything from flipping backwards if the weight gets too close to the pivot point. For most people the physics become painfully obvious the first time they pull a seat and get clobbered by a speeding headrest lol
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN35thSS
Is there somewhere that has the parts diagrams for the car ?
A long time ago some folks made (and posted on the internet) .pdf's of the GM parts catalogs for the Camaro and Firebird. I don't know if they are still available but most of what's in there with regards to diagrams can be seen on dealers' parts sites. The catalogs just had more extensive part number listings and the NOS numbers.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the hard plastic pieces break off in the TA, and makes the seat do the funky chicken when accelerating or stopping. I did a short video on what I did to fix it, basically make my own hard plastic slider out of a cutting board:

Hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold TA
I had the hard plastic pieces break off in the TA, and makes the seat do the funky chicken when accelerating or stopping. I did a short video on what I did to fix it, basically make my own hard plastic slider out of a cutting board:
Hope it helps.
Great video…do the new plastic pieces stay in place?
seems like they would side out when you move the seat.
BTW, what tool did you use to cut the plastic cutting board?

Last edited by bgw70; 03-29-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought about putting a retainer clip in, but wanted to see if it would ever move after greasing the hell out of the shim (the cutting board is naturally slick to start with). Checked it this morning, and no movement yet, but I don’t move it much anyway. Biggest concern was to get the seat ‘solid’ instead of moving, and that’s what I have (so far). You could use a sawzall to cut it, but I just used a hack saw and my concrete driveway as a file.
The following users liked this post:
bgw70 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hope it helps.
I thought about putting a retainer clip in, but wanted to see if it would ever move after greasing the hell out of the shim (the cutting board is naturally slick to start with). Checked it this morning, and no movement yet, but I don’t move it much anyway. Biggest concern was to get the seat ‘solid’ instead of moving, and that’s what I have (so far). You could use a sawzall to cut it, but I just used a hack saw and my concrete driveway as a file.
I too have been seeing small pieces of plastic and today, a larger piece came out…time to pick up a slick cutting board to cut up :-)

Old 01-10-2023, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These inserts can now be bought on Etsy. I'm not the one making them, I found a link to his parts in a Facebook group.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1175266...ment-seat-rail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power seat rail plastic bushings - 2002 Camaro