General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Popping and stumbling after exhaust and cai

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like an open loop/closed loop problem, which is hard to know what is going on if one doesn't know what your tune does.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
Sounds like an open loop/closed loop problem, which is hard to know what is going on if one doesn't know what your tune does.
Okay so car sounds a lot better after fixing the leaky header. Did a little spirited driving after I left the exhaust shop and the ses light came on. Took it to autozone for a code scan and the maf sensor code is gone but I have a p0151 circuit low voltage (bank 2 sensor 1) and a p0131 circuit low voltage (bank 1 sensor 1) I have the p0151 twice though. So I bought 2 new 02 sensors 120 efing bucks. I got home and heard a sucking noise coming from the engine bay. Started spraying with brake cleaner around the area I though it was coming from and spayed the egr hose (my egr is deleted but the hose is still there) and the car died. Started it back up and sprayed again, car idled down and back up, sprayed again car died. I though it was suppose to idle up if there was a leak?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by BamaBird22
Okay so car sounds a lot better after fixing the leaky header.
This will throw off and really screw with your oxygen sensors. That leads to mixture problems, which is probably what caused your popping. That probably lead to high heat in the exhaust, which could have baked your sensors.

I though it was suppose to idle up if there was a leak?
Car's burn gas so if anything is there other than the expected air/fuel mix, then things aren't going to work well. You have a successful test, which seems to show your EGR plate isn't blocked - so you should be set.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Okay guys think I found the MAIN issue here. Guess the cai created more vacuum than the stock air lid and made that brittle rusty egr pipe crumble. You can see the broken piece at the bottom of the pipe in the pic.Popping and stumbling after exhaust and cai-photo377.jpg

Last edited by BamaBird22; 02-09-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Okay guys think I found the MAIN issue here. Guess the cai created more vacuum than the stock air lid and made that brittle rusty egr pipe crumble. You can see the broken piece at the bottom of the pipe in the pic.
I think you are giving the new intake more credit than it deserves. A rusty pipe is a rusty pipe...

In the long run, I would bet that you'd be better off going back to the old intake and a paper air filter. Your MAF will be happier and give you more power and you'll have a lot less grief across the board.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I think you are giving the new intake more credit than it deserves. A rusty pipe is a rusty pipe...

In the long run, I would bet that you'd be better off going back to the old intake and a paper air filter. Your MAF will be happier and give you more power and you'll have a lot less grief across the board.
Just strange that it happened RIGHT after the cai install. But the stock box is back on. Too scared to put the other on. While I still hate how bulky and ugly the stock box is it'll have to do. Btw. Through out all this is it possible I fouled my 02 sensors cause the codes won't go away?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Save the manuals!

An open EGR line can trigger O2 codes, (if it's the return line) just like a pre-sensor exhaust leak.

The O2 sensors are going to report excess Oxygen in the exhaust, beyond what the computer expects to be there. An open EGR line, allowing fresh air to enter the combustion chamber (outside of the PCM's control) will cause this condition.

I assume your O2 codes are for lean conditions?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

An open EGR line can trigger O2 codes, (if it's the return line) just like a pre-sensor exhaust leak.

The O2 sensors are going to report excess Oxygen in the exhaust, beyond what the computer expects to be there. An open EGR line, allowing fresh air to enter the combustion chamber (outside of the PCM's control) will cause this condition.

I assume your O2 codes are for lean conditions?
My 02 codes are the two I stated above p0151 and p0131
Old 02-10-2019, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Okay I guess that wasn't the problem. Bout new 02s and put those in also. Still having the same issue. I also have a thin white smoke coming from tail pipe and water dripping. And yes it's just water. Strong gas smell also. And still popping every now and again
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

here's a video
Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Save the manuals!

My 02 codes are the two I stated above p0151 and p0131
Are you going to make everyone look these up?

Okay I guess that wasn't the problem. Bout new 02s and put those in also.
Your O2 sensors are probably fine - just telling you that there is bad chemistry. The bad chemistry can be cause by the open EGR.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Are you going to make everyone look these up?Your O2 sensors are probably fine - just telling you that there is bad chemistry. The bad chemistry can be cause by the open EGR.
Like I've been saying. The p0151 and p0131 codes I have already said what they are but I will say them again.... They are both circuit low voltage codes one for bank 1 sensor 1 and one for bank 1 sensor 2. And the egr is tuned out and closed. Been that way for over a year.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Been that way for over a year.
If your car was throwing emission codes before you started doing modifications, then you did yourself a disservice by not fixing that problem first. As the header leak shows, these types of problems become exponentially harder to solve when more variables get layered on top.

Putting as much back to the way it was (like the air intake) may be helpful.

Like I've been saying. The p0151 and p0131 codes I have already said what they are but I will say them again.... They are both circuit low voltage codes one for bank 1 sensor 1 and one for bank 1 sensor 2.
Like I've been saying. I've already said the oxygen sensor codes you are seeing are probably due to your open EGR pipe, but I will say it again...

It might be helpful for you to understand what is going on by reading up on the sensors. Could low voltage mean the sensor is bad or you have bad wiring? Yes. But it can also mean that you just have a ton of oxygen in the system. Lower voltages mean high concentrations of oxygen are present. (Due to excess oxygen being introduced to the system through an exhaust pipe leak, ERG leak, intake leak, etc. or bad combustion.)

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/u...en_sensors.asp

To solve the code problems, you'll need to resolve all leaks, fix all intakes, and have a proper EGR system. You can then clear the codes and see where you are. (You might still have an electrical problem - but even if you do; all of these things will still continue to cause problems.)