General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Don't drop the fuel tank unless you have a lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't drop the fuel tank unless you have a lift

For the few GM truck folks in here, I've changed the fuel pump by picking up the bed with 3 other guys and aside from needing multiple people, it's a pretty easy job. Don't have that luxury at the moment, so I've heard you can just drop the tank and replace the fuel pump (different truck now). Unless you have a lift to get the truck up pretty high (I had it on jack stands), there just isn't enough room to really do the job without a ton of bending and flexing in horribly uncomfortable positions and it takes a long time to line everything up just right. Between the tank, the exhaust/muffler, and the drive shaft, there's not much space. Took me three hours of grrrrrr to do it when I know the 'moving the bed' method only takes about an hour.

But, the pump has been replaced and I'll see if that fixes an intermittent issue I've been having (truck dying like it's out of gas) only when the weather gets really cold. It's the original 23yo old so it's not gonna hurt to change it regardless.

Venting over.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the heads up. I don't have any friends so I was contemplating dropping the tank (been easy in my past two diesels and obs truck) but I guess I'll find another buddy or two to do the job.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cooper Smith
Appreciate the heads up. I don't have any friends so I was contemplating dropping the tank (been easy in my past two diesels and obs truck) but I guess I'll find another buddy or two to do the job.
Cooper Smith, it a b$%#!*. Mine's a '96 C1500, so it's not very high up to begin with. Your truck might be different in the lift or have a thinner, longer tank, different muffler position, etc. You got it work on your other trucks. If I had 4 jack stands I would've been able to jack it up higher like I did with my 4l60E rebuild but my buddy with the other pair of jack stands lives in Austin now. You could probably make it work if you have one of those big jacks that can go pretty high and 4 jack stands. That's how I got my truck high enough to pull the transmission. Another 6 inches would've made a huge difference. But my abs and front neck muscles got a good workout from basically having to be in a sit-up position the whole time. I'm sore.

Last edited by coryforsenate; 03-26-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a cherry picker (engine puller)? I’ve had success with smaller trucks using the cherry picker to lift the bed up and outta the way. Never tried on a full size pickup but you can probably make it work if you’re creative... next time.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, graduating in May, still in apartment. No room for big stuff.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ya major pita to drop tanks on jack stands. If your stalling out use some intake cleaner on the TB and spray in through all the holes with the intake tube off and engine running. Clean the MAF too with maf cleaner and see if that cures it
Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S30, i used the cherry picker to lift my trans am off the engine/subframe recently. Worked perfectly. Dont have a lift yet.