General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 Z28 beeps twice after locking

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Z28 beeps twice after locking

So my trunk has a slight leak right above the passenger side rear speaker right above where the shock sensor is for the alarm. So recently I washed my car and I believe that water may have reached the shock sensor. I checked it today, but I did not see any traces of water in that area.

Ever since I washed my car, the horn will beep twice shortly after I lock the car using the auto lock button on the driver door. And it's like an ACTUAL honk, not a chirp as you would get with a remote key. However if I manually lock both doors using the lock sliders, there is no double honk afterwards. I was wondering if there is a way to bypass this double honking issue through the shock alarm sensor? I don't have a key fob for my 2001 Z28 (previous owner lost it and I never bought another one). I live in a very populated area and the last thing I need is my car alarm going bonkers or disturbing the neighbors every time I lock my car late at night. Will unplugging that alarm shock sensor by the spare tire fix the issue?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Weird.

Originally Posted by INFERNY
Will unplugging that alarm shock sensor by the spare tire fix the issue?
This will definitely isolate the sensor and confirm if it's involved. No harm in doing this. It cleanly takes the sensor out of the loop. Please post back your results.

BTW - I've found a replacement for this sensor. I'm still working on testing the new part on the car, but the bench testing I've done has been phenominal: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ck-sensor.html
Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you can always buy a new GM key fob and program it to your car... it takes like 2 minutes (separate issue)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Weird.

This will definitely isolate the sensor and confirm if it's involved. No harm in doing this. It cleanly takes the sensor out of the loop. Please post back your results.

BTW - I've found a replacement for this sensor. I'm still working on testing the new part on the car, but the bench testing I've done has been phenominal: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ck-sensor.html

I noticed that my shock sensor does not have a little white dial on the side. That dial is for adjusting the sensitivity right?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Yes, the dial is for sensitivity.

Are you sure that you don't have an aftermarket alarm/fob system?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you have the optional factory alarm systems, horn honks and lights flashing upon arming is a programmable configuration. There may be nothing wrong with your system and it is just set to mode 2 in the Theft Deterrent Arming Verification. Unfortunately, you need a working remote to program that option. However, you can program the Theft Deterrent Arming Method to off without a remote.

Here is the information on programming from your owner's manual:

PROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ALARM

ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE

To program features, the car must be in programming mode.

1) Turn key to RUN position.
2) Turn key to OFF position.
3) Remove the RADIO fuse in the main fuse panel.
4) Turn the key to ACC

You should hear a chime to verify that the system is in the programming mode.
1 chime means you can program Exit Lighting, Delayed Illumination, Last Door Closed Locking and Lock Out.
2 chimes means your car is equipped with Content Theft-Deterrent System so you can also program Remote Keyless Entry Verification, Arming Method, Arming Verification, Driver's Door Delay and Shock Sensor Enable.

EXIT LIGHTING & ILLUMINATION

With exit lighting, your interior lamps will come on for up to 25 sec. when the key is removed.
With Delay Illumination, your interior lamps will come on and stay on for up to 25 sec. when entering the car and up to 5 sec. when leaving the car.
To change the factory setting...
1) Turn the courtesy lamps on by turning the instrument panel brightness control **** all the way up.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Turn the courtesy lamp switch off.
4) Turn the switch on and off until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off.
MODE 2 Delayed Illumination Only.
MODE 3 Exit Lighting Only.
MODE 4 Both On.

LAST DOOR LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION

To change the setting...
1) Press the LOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Press the LOCK switch on the door until you hear the number of chimes for the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off (Door will lock and unlock when you press the door lock switch)
MODE 2 Lockout Prevention Only (If you leave your keys in the ign. and leave thru the driver's door, you won't be able to lock the doors with the power door lock switch.)
MODE 3 Last Door Closed Only. (If the power door lock switch is used to lock the car while any door is open, you will hear 3 chimes. The doors will not lock until all the doors are closed.)
MODE 4 Both On. (This combines Mode 2 and 3.)

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY VERIFICATION

To change this setting...
1) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. This tells you which mode you're in.
3) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want.

MODE 1 All Off. (The head lights will not flash and the horn will not sound)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (Your horn will sound and your parking lights will flash when you press the LOCK button on the transmitter. Only the parking lamps will flash when you press UNLOCK)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps (Your horn will sound and the parking lamps will flash every time you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 4 Lamps (The parking lamps will flash when you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 5 Lamps/Horn and Lamps (Lamps will flash on the first press on LOCK, your lamps will flash and the horn will sound on the second press on LOCK and the lamps will flash any time you press UNLOCK)

THEFT-DETERRENT VERIFICATION

1) Press the LOCK button on the remote.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear.
3) Press the LOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes you want.

MODE 1 All Off (No horn chirp or lamp flash)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps (Your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (If you use the remote to arm the system, your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice to verify the system is armed. If it only chirps once, the hatch is open or unlatched. If you use either the power door lock switch or passive arming, only the lamps will flash for verification)

THEFT DETERRENT ARMING METHOD

1) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes
3) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door until you are in the mode you want.

MODE 1 Alarm System Off (System will not arm)
MODE 2 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Lock (When you lock the doors using the remote, the system will arm itself)
MODE 3 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch (If you use the remote or the power door lock switch to lock the doors, the system will arm)
MODE 4 Passive Arming and Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch Arming (The system will arm itself after all doors are closed plus arming per MODE 3)

DRIVER'S DOOR ALARM DELAY AND SHOCK SENSOR ENABLE

1) Turn the parking lamps on and off
2) Count the chimes
3) Turn the parking lamps on and off until you hear the number of chimes you wany

MODE 1 Zero Delay and Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound immediately if the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 2 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 3 Zero Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound immediately after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)
MODE 4 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)

LEAVING PROGRAM MODE

When programming is done, turn the ignition to OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
The following users liked this post:
Steven503 (05-21-2020)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

My alarm is set to honk twice. If it only honks once or not at all it means a door or the hatch isn't fully closed. After adjusting the trunk latch it honked twice and I thought I broke something. Turns out that I had actually fixed something that I didn't know was broken lol
The following 2 users liked this post by bammax:
99Silver6.0 (03-02-2020), LilJayV10 (03-19-2020)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

@WhiteBird

My car has never had this double honk issue before and I have not touched any of the electrical components within the car. I am sure this is an error of some sort
Old 04-09-2019, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Yes, the dial is for sensitivity.

Are you sure that you don't have an aftermarket alarm/fob system?
My shock sensor has no visible dial. The sensor itself looks just like the OEM one minus the dial. The previous owner made no mention of an aftermarket alarm; he also lost the key fob for the car.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

@WhiteBird

My car has never had this double honk issue before and I have not touched any of the electrical components within the car. I am sure this is an error of some sort
It is certainly possible that there is a problem somewhere but the symptoms you describe aren't the usual ones seen with a shock sensor fault. Faulty shock sensors tend to cause random alarm activation at all hours rather than just a couple of honks when the system is first armed. That couple of honks sounds more like normal operation than a problem. Perhaps it wasn't working before and has just now started working properly like bammax experienced with his.

Disconnecting the shock sensor will tell you which is the case. If the honking continues then you can assume it's normal operation. If it stops then it really was the sensor.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Ever since I washed my car, the horn will beep twice shortly after I lock the car using the auto lock button on the driver door. And it's like an ACTUAL honk, not a chirp as you would get with a remote key.
This still sounds a lot like a stock alarm arming mode for the car. I think you should still go back through the owners manual and try the programming and see what happens. Maybe the BCM reset on you? I just took a page-turn through the Owners Manual and there's a lot of good stuff in there. I really think it's worth your time to read through it (particularly the horn and alarm sections) and see if behaviors line up.

However if I manually lock both doors using the lock sliders, there is no double honk afterwards.
In this event, you would not be arming the alarm at all.

I don't have a key fob for my 2001 Z28 (previous owner lost it and I never bought another one). I live in a very populated area and the last thing I need is my car alarm going bonkers or disturbing the neighbors every time I lock my car late at night.
If this concerns you, I would think this is an exact reason to get a remote. It's a great $20 investment.

My shock sensor has no visible dial. The sensor itself looks just like the OEM one minus the dial.
BTW - The dial isn't visible from the front. The stock one is in the side of the case, recessed, and not labeled.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I let the car sit for a couple days and now the issue is gone....
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

If it did this without any intervention, I would check the BCM for cracks in solder joints if you have any more body gremlins in the future.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Weird.

I had the same issue as the OP. When unplugging the Sensor, the issues has gone away. I will see if I can source a new sensor and plug it in and see if that resolves the issue. If not, no real need for a sensor in my case either.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have no problems what so ever on my 2001 Z28 (Sara-50K original miles). When I use the factory key fob (that came with the vehicle) to lock Sara, the horn will beep twice quickly, and the running lights (not headlights) will flash once.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveC
I have no problems what so ever on my 2001 Z28 (Sara-50K original miles). When I use the factory key fob (that came with the vehicle) to lock Sara, the horn will beep twice quickly, and the running lights (not headlights) will flash once.
All of use are very happy for you.
The following users liked this post:
JimMueller (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
All of use are very happy for you.
? Sorry I do not understand the meaning of this post.