General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

RPMs drop very low when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RPMs drop very low when coming to a stop

My car has a manual transmission, and when I press the clutch pedal in, or take the car out of gear when I am coming to a stop, the RPMs drop quickly to around 500, at which point it shuts off the alternator, the battery voltage drop almost to red, and the lights dim. The RPMs will bounce back and forth between 500 and 850 until I have come to a complete stop. Once stopped, the car idles like normal, and the battery voltage comes back up. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I assumed it may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but I used a smoke machine and was unable to find a leak anywhere.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Teching In

I also forgot to mention that I replaced the IAC Valve, so that has been ruled out.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reading this and from your other post it really sounds like you should check misfire/spark issues.... coil(s) about to go maybe?
Old 04-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
reading this and from your other post it really sounds like you should check misfire/spark issues.... coil(s) about to go maybe?
They're actually two separate cars, but it's definitely worth checking out. Plugs and wires on this car were replaced a few months back, so I'll have to take a look at the coils. Thank for the input!