General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Small oil leak by oil filter on 97 Firehawk LT1 M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small oil leak by oil filter on 97 Firehawk LT1 M6

I have noticed a small leak coming from the top of the oil filter on my 97 Firehawk LT1 M6. I noticed this last fall where it was pretty bad and spewing out oil. I thought it was the k&n oil filter so I removed it and replaced it with a quaker state one. I made sure before replacing it that there were no stuck filters or debris on the filter housing. I make sure to throughly clean the area and lube up the new oil filter before replacing it. This was done back in November and the car has not been driven since. I had the car jacked up last week to do other work and now noticed there is once again a small leak coming from the oil filter. It has not yet dripped to the ground but it's coming from the top of the filter on the side pointing towards the rear. I have attached some pics I would appreciate any info on this. I will remove the filter again and clean reinstall it but I had already done this last time. I made sure the filter was hand tightened enough.

Last edited by prix57; 07-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

May be the oil filter adapter gasket. I got one from the dealer but it's also included in the felpro oil pan gasket kit last I saw. The adapter is held in with 2 tiny bolts that go straight up and are only partially visible with the filter off. When you scrape off the old dried up gasket be careful because the block where it mounts is razor sharp and will slice you up pretty badly.
The following users liked this post:
prix57 (07-07-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FelPro makes the oil filter adapter gasket kit. Under $10 IIRC. You need to remove the oil filter adapter to get to the gasket. That gasket is likely very hard now and can take some effort in scraping off but you may find it just pops off whole once you get under the edge of it

This assumes you don't have the old oil filter O ring gasket stuck in the adapter and then installed a new filter with gasket also
prix57 (07-07-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I picked up my 96 Z28 1LE that was sitting in a barn for years... It too was leaking from where yours is.. I thought for sure it was an oil pan gasket... Turns out it was the oil filter. Perhaps you will have the same luck.
prix57 (07-07-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
I picked up my 96 Z28 1LE that was sitting in a barn for years... It too was leaking from where yours is.. I thought for sure it was an oil pan gasket... Turns out it was the oil filter. Perhaps you will have the same luck.
Has yours leaked again since replacing the filter?

I have have yet to remove the filter, clean it, lube it again and reinstall.

This has happened actually for me with 2 filters as I recall the AC Delco filter it had on before the K&N had the same issue.

Last edited by prix57; 05-28-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Like the others stated, oil filter adapter is the likely source of your leak.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Gotcha I will order one then.

I found Melling MFA350 Oil Filter Adapter on Rock Auto but it stated "without oil cooler" which is what my Firehawk has. I wonder if having the oil cooler will make a difference or not?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure all you need is Fel-Pro ES 72671.
prix57 (04-07-2020)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

ZERO leaks from mine....
Old 05-30-2019, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

​​​​​​​i've been haveing good luck with napa gold filters not leaking. fram always leaks too.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure it isnt the oil pressure sender and/or the back of the intake manifold leaking. Both are known LT1 leakers.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97camer
i've been haveing good luck with napa gold filters not leaking. fram always leaks too.
Are the NAPA gold filters made by WIX?

I picked up some WIX 51069 filters. Are they any good?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Germansheperd1
Make sure it isnt the oil pressure sender and/or the back of the intake manifold leaking. Both are known LT1 leakers.
I haven't got around to changing the oil yet but so far it has not yet dripped to the ground. It's still that faint line coming from back of the filter from the top half.

I do have a small leak coming from the front since I got the car. I was told one of the front seals are "wet". I cleaned it up to take a quick look and it's either the front main or possibly water pump seal but not 100% sure.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prix57
Are the NAPA gold filters made by WIX?

I picked up some WIX 51069 filters. Are they any good?
Yes, they are re-boxed WIX filters, you'll be fine.
prix57 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I
I do have a small leak coming from the front since I got the car. I was told one of the front seals are "wet". I cleaned it up to take a quick look and it's either the front main or possibly water pump seal but not 100% sure.
Your front leak is most likely the WP drive seal, fairly common. You would need to remove WP & Opti to access it and use a special "tool" or home made version to install a new one. That seal along with the Opti seal are PTFE seals and must be installed dry, don't oil or grease them.

The leak at oil filter is very likely the oil filter "adapter" seal. As noted check the oil pressure sender by running you hand over it to see if it is leaking but the more common leak like yours is oil filter adapter

FelPro makes a replacement oil filter adapter seal kit and a front timing cover seal gasket set which includes the WP drive seal that are typically available at most auto part stores
prix57 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
Your front leak is most likely the WP drive seal, fairly common. You would need to remove WP & Opti to access it and use a special "tool" or home made version to install a new one. That seal along with the Opti seal are PTFE seals and must be installed dry, don't oil or grease them.

The leak at oil filter is very likely the oil filter "adapter" seal. As noted check the oil pressure sender by running you hand over it to see if it is leaking but the more common leak like yours is oil filter adapter

FelPro makes a replacement oil filter adapter seal kit and a front timing cover seal gasket set which includes the WP drive seal that are typically available at most auto part stores
Gotcha I will take a closer look soon.

I got this Firehawk in 2017 and the previous owner had the engine professionally rebuilt in 2014 and had 12,000 km's (~7500 miles) put on it since. I find it odd how the front seals would already be leaking (although minor) so quickly.

As per the shop that did the rebuild advised I only use Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil HR2 Conventional 10W30.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I got this Firehawk in 2017 and the previous owner had the engine professionally rebuilt in 2014 and had 12,000 km's (~7500 miles) put on it since. I find it odd how the front seals would already be leaking (although minor) so quickly.

As per the shop that did the rebuild advised I only use Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil HR2 Conventional 10W30.
Seals can leak from wear, parts that go through the seal wear....and even "professional" builders can install a WP drive seal incorrectly. Ignoring the fact PTFE seals need to be installed dry as a possible example. The splines in the coupler from WP drive to WP if worn will cause the coupler to slightly wobble and take out a seal. Especially a worn bearing WP drive gear assembly...something a "professional" builder may ignore or just not know.

With that said the leak could be from another source (intake manifold, opti or crank seal) but the WP drive seal is the most common seal to leak, especially if WP was changed and the seal got "disturbed" in the process

Joe Gibbs oil is good. Has a higher zinc content. If you have catalytic converters though prolonged use can be problematic to CATS

If you are unsure of a oi leak source than using oil engine dye with black light & amber goggles will show up a leak source quite well. Clean area of leak first