General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Starter or Fuel Pump After Full Engine Build - 02 Trans Am. HELP APPRECIATED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Starter or Fuel Pump After Full Engine Build - 02 Trans Am. HELP APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you for clicking into this thread! 2002 Trans Am M6

After pulling the engine out of the car and swapping in a forged rotating assembly, I have encountered this problem after re-assembling and hooking everything back up:
- Starter will not even click
- Fuel pump will not prime

Regarding starter:
- Confirmed that starter works by jumping the posts.
- Confirmed that clutch switch is fully disengaging.
- Confirmed that power is getting to starter with a multimeter (didn't try this while trying to crank, however).
- Confirmed all fuses and relays are OK (visual inspection).
- Car accessory power turns on fine. Battery is healthy.

Regarding fuel pump:
- Cannot hear it prime.
- Check the rails... no fuel.
- I did have the pump completely out of the tank during the build in order to swap in a larger pump. Ended up changing plans, however, and put the stock pump back in. So there's a slight chance this issue might not be related to the starter.

Please tell me there's something simple I could be missing... such a bummer after coming this far in the build!!

Thanks again
Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Are you certain that you have the starter wired correctly and all of your grounds are connected? As for the fuel pump issue I suspect there is something not right at the pump but a good place to start would be the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. May need to get a test light out and make sure your getting power to the relay and pump.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

You should be getting power there at the turn of the key.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply! I'm going to take the battery connections back out today and confirm they're connected properly. There's not much to that cable to get wrong but it's worth the look.

Will also give the relay power a look. Thanks again
Old 06-03-2019, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

so what exactly is the complaint? It was hard to tell by your post.

I got that the fuel pump isn't turning on....does it crank but not start?

Have you checked for DTC's?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Problems are solved friends! Starter issue ended up being caused by the negative battery cable. The battery terminal bolt was stripped just enough to allow itself to be screwed in to the battery, but not firm/tight. The bolt was in far enough to allow the dash lights to turn on, but not to handle the load from cranking. Replaced the bolt and the starter works.

As for the fuel pump... embarrassed to admit I dropped the tank and found a connector to the pump that missed getting connected. Guess that's what I get for consecutive marathon garage days and little sleep to keep the build on track.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SonicFury
Problems are solved friends! Starter issue ended up being caused by the negative battery cable. The battery terminal bolt was stripped just enough to allow itself to be screwed in to the battery, but not firm/tight. The bolt was in far enough to allow the dash lights to turn on, but not to handle the load from cranking. Replaced the bolt and the starter works.

As for the fuel pump... embarrassed to admit I dropped the tank and found a connector to the pump that missed getting connected. Guess that's what I get for consecutive marathon garage days and little sleep to keep the build on track.
Glad to hear you got it figured out!. Thank you for getting back on here to letting us know your findings. Hopefully someone with a similar situation can benefit from this.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Glad to hear you got it figured out!. Thank you for getting back on here to letting us know your findings. Hopefully someone with a similar situation can benefit from this.
Thanks! My thoughts as well.