General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant smells like a$$

Old 10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant smells like a$$

What caused it to smell like that, and why does it stink up the inside of my car when I turn on the heat or A.C. I can understand why it would with the heat but Why the A.C? Also there is a red light on that I dont know what it is. It is a square with waves and an arrow inside it., the light is inside the tach area towards the top, guessing it has something to do with low coolant. The car is a 95 z28. Thanks. One more thing will flushing the radiator fix this?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You my friend are possibly a victim of the leaky heater core ... lol. Do you notice an oily fog/film on your widscreen when you turn on the defroster? And ofcourse, if your hearter core is leaky, you'll get the low coolant light.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Actually I did I didnt think about it till you mentioned it, but there was. If the heater core is leaking wont the carpet on the passenger side be wet?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on how bad the leak is. If it aint that much it'll just evaporate before it leaks all the way. Take off your glove box and the cover under it. You'll see the heater box. There's a couple of 8mm(?) screws you can take off and you'll get a clear view at the heater core. Changing it only requires that you take off the hoses that attatch to it on the engine compartment and also the few bolts that hold the heater core in place, an it just pops out. Well, not exactly pops, but you know what I mean. right?
Old 10-10-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I know what you mean , thanks for the help man. You think it would be a good idea to flush the radiator as well?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
Yeah I know what you mean , thanks for the help man. You think it would be a good idea to flush the radiator as well?
But Of course!

Search this Thread