General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

White smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White smoke from exhaust...

Well i thought maybe the white smoke was just from the car being really cold outside but even in warmer weather the car has a little bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust, is this something i should be majorly concerned about? Car has 102,000 miles. I started my truck right next to my camaro to see if it was just cause of the weather but on my truck i saw nothing out the tail pipe and my car had white smoke... I hope its not another major problem...any ideas? I am beginning to think the previous owners of the car raced the **** out of it or something with all the things wrong on it.
Thanks, Ben
Old 02-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Watch it carefully. It could be your head gasket going on you. It happened to my brothers car. It was just small amounts of smoke then it slowly over time got to be a thicker white smoke and then his head gasket blew along with the entire lower end on his engine. Although it was carb. 350 engine, I think the same would apply to your senario. Have it checked out...
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

White smoke = coolant...black smoke = fuel....blue smoke = oil. Somehow you have coolant burning off, possible causes are head gasket(s), warped head(s) or cracked block.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better make sure its not blue. its easy to confuse the color. pull the plugs and see what they look like. it could be your valve stem oil seals which is pretty common on higher milage engines. does it go away after a short drive?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Launching!

do you see white smoke when you accelerate? just have someone step on the gas while you check. if you do, then your probably leaking coolant into the cylinders. it could be a leaky head gasket or a tb leak. if your coolants frothy, then it's definately a head gasket leak.

if it smokes while in idle or when you decelerate, then it's probably a blown head gasket.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

I put 4 sets of head gaskets on my old 95Z before I got sick of it and sold it. Be careful and definatley have it checked out.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Well if i do have a bad head gasket or coolant leaking how long can i drive around like this? My car is stock right now but i am planning on starting a complete stroker rebuild this summer so will it be ok by then do you think? What else can result from this?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it depends. I personally would not risk it. Swapping the head gaskets is too easy to not do. I promise I've done it. When my head gaskets finally blew all the way it ruined a head too. So lets recap you could drop 40 bucks....for gaskets or try your luck and end up spending a lot more. Good luck...