General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help, engine died and will no longer start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Help, engine died and will no longer start.

I was going down the road and my car backfired really loud, now my car will no longer start. The car tries to start normally but the engine will not turn over. Could anyone help me out here, I inspected under the hood and could not find out what is wrong with it. I filled my car up earlier that day so maybe I could have bad gas?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

You mentioned the car wouldn't turn over. Will the engine not rotate or will it not ignite the fire? Any more details? Was the backfire out out the tail pipes? ( that's actually called an afterfire) or was the sound under the hood-did it pop back into the intake manifold ( that's a backfire). Details?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

The engine will rotate just fine just won't start and run. I couldn't reallly tell at the time where the sound came from (stereo was on) but I would say the engine itself would be my best guess. The fuel pump still primes and what I can the the fuel system seems to be ok. I'm guessing either a case of bad gas or I threw the timing chain.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

A few more details but it could be the opti spark, sounds similar to mine when it went bad. Any low coolant lights on or anything?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Here is an idea. You might be hearing fuel pump noises but you would want to see if fuel is getting to the rails. Look at the end of the fuel injector rail and look for the cap (looks like the air fitting for a tire) remove the cap and press the nipple to see if high presure fuel sprays out. You might want to have a rag over the nipple when you do that so fuel doesn't go everywhere. You must have the ignition key turned to the on position which will prime the fuel. IF there is very little or no pressure then I am willing to bet that your fuel pump relay is no good. That will check the fuel easily. if that doesn't work I wil give a few tips to check ignition.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

When the backfire happened, were you at full throttle, shifting , decelerating ,what were the circumstances that caused the pop? What are the miles on the engine? Did you Tap the throttle and then get then get on the trottle again?

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 02-11-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Opti. Next Question Please.

hehe...

Mine did the exact same thing. The Backfires are a dead giveaway.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup if you have fuel Opti would be next

I had one last week that was running and died. had new opti on it. We had fuel AND fire. This means the opti is sending signals (Or no fuel out injector or spark) but not firing.

In the end the new cap had shorted out internally! Put on new opti , she fired right off and ran great. Swapped caps and car would not run again, swap caps back and it ran like a dream

Good luck man!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn't you just put a water pump on that car a few weeks ago?? Seems like I remember reading that post. The water leak must have gotten to the opti. Too bad you didn't change the opti at the same time........ but I wouldn't have done it either.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
I was going down the road and my car backfired really loud, now my car will no longer start. The car tries to start normally but the engine will not turn over. Could anyone help me out here, I inspected under the hood and could not find out what is wrong with it. I filled my car up earlier that day so maybe I could have bad gas?
I had a similiar expierence I was driving down shifted from 6th to what was suppose to be 5th ended up being 3rd. I ended up jumping the time fried the opti spark to. On the bright side my friends behind me said that the borla made an awesome flame.lol. Live and learn.