General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP my car is all messed up now!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM
SSU, come over and relax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry HELP my car is all messed up now!!

well this is just great i get home from the dealer today (not my choice i wouldve taken it somewhere else but it was out of my control). we were having the power steering leak fixed and they replaced the entire power steering rack, front brakes replaced, rear pinion seal replaced, and the front end aligned.

now the car wonders all over the road pulls to the right and when the shifter is in gear it has about 2 inches of play in it. i swear i almost went back and started shooting. by the time i got back there the guy had already left. does anyone know what could be the problem with the shifter and all? i swear i would have paid to take it somewhere else if i knew this crap wouldve happened.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 inches of play. Meaning it moves up and down under acceleration?

Not sure of the symptoms, but gut says tranny mount
Old 07-30-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

First of all, you may want to calm down. Sounds like it's far less messed up than when it was brought in. I'm also betting that instead of getting your panties in a wad, you should be thankful to whoever paid for those repairs (probably around $1000) - all common on hard driven/higher mileage f-bodies, and safety related too.

The pull could be one of two things or a combo - out of alignment or bad tires. How old are your tires? What kind of shape are they in? This is a key thing we need to know before we can help on that. Take it back to the dealer that did the work. Most shops warrant their alignments for around 3 months/3000 miles. They should rotate the tires first. If that kills the pull, you have a tire problem. If they do an alignment again, just ask them when you drop it off -- beforehand -- to print the specs for you. Alignment is as much art as science.

The shifter thing is weird. Does it have play front to back or left to right? Have you looked in there to make sure nothing is loose? Can't think of why anything would've been removed or loosened in there but the engine and tranny mounts are usually loosened and the motor is jacked to R&R a steering gear. Check the motor and tranny mounts and make sure they are tight or have the dealer rack it and recheck it, sounds like they should anyway, just to make you feel better. Spork may be right on this one.

You will get better results if you're polite and professional when you go back and ask for help and verification. Someone spent money on your behalf and they will want to keep you happy but if you go in with the attitude you started this post with, you may find yourself not getting the help you deserve.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
SSU, come over and relax

the tires are brand new so there shouldnt be any problems there. i got them last weekend. the play in the shifter is up and down. its in gear and it moves about and inch forward and backwards. oh and one more thing when driving on the highway the steering wheel vibrates really bad.

First of all, you may want to calm down. Sounds like it's far less messed up than when it was brought in. I'm also betting that instead of getting your panties in a wad, you should be thankful to whoever paid for those repairs (probably around $1000) - all common on hard driven/higher mileage f-bodies, and safety related too.
i understand all this but this was right when i got home and of course you can understand that when you take your car to get fixed and now it drives like crap you are gonna be a little upset. if i had waited a couple hours to post this it wouldnt have come off that way.

anyways thanks for your help its gonna go back to the dealer monday morning. i have to have it back tuesday though because i am going on a 1400 mile trip wednesday morning (another reason i was upset).

thanks again
Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Teching In

i am thinking your tranny mount is loose, and that your alignment is off. with the wheel shaking back and forth that is a tire problem/balance problem. rotate the tires and re-rack the car at the dealer and then have the alignment redone. If it is done on a Hunter the printout will give you the before and after specs and you can also print the recommended specs also to compare. hope this helps good luck
Old 08-02-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not that this helps now, but when this is all done and over with, try to find another dealer or private shop. Some of these dealers can charge exhorbitant fees and deliver less than desirable service. Out of many shops, there are very few savory dealer shops that I can deal with. One dealer shop that I took to court (can't legally disclose all details) was screwing up things left and right.

When I once had the clutch seviced, and they left a bunch of cables unplugged. When I returned after an hour once I discovered what was wrong, they refused to immediately acknowledge what was wrong, then the next thing they said I had to leave it overnight. Overnight turned into several days, then once one week passed, I discovered that they didn't even want to look at it (I had to enquire before that discovery), then had the nerve to charge me diagnostic fees. You can pretty much guess what happened from there.

Needless to say, you might not be able to recoup your loss from that specific shop, however if the car is still in good nick, try to find another shop that pays better attention to detail and is usually friendly enough to let you watch them perform the work. Another plus would be if the shop makes a mistake (and all have), they are more than willing to investigate their mistake with little question.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Let us know how it goes. FWIW, new tires can be bad too. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NEVER TAKE UR CAR TO THE DEALER. I had the same prob my power steering was leaking everywere i took it to chevy of boise and the bitches made me wait 5 hrs and then they said my head gasket was bla bla and my oil pan was yada yada so they messed with the oil pan and they broke the bolt from the ypipe to the header so i had a leak it was so anyoing. They didnt fix the powersteering leak. And the grand total was $238 bucks for nothing not a damn thing.