General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about weatherstripping?

Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about weatherstripping?

I have a 99 Camaro SS. In the past few weeks the weather striping (I think that’s what it should be called) on the outside of the window has come lose. It will pop up when I try to roll up the window. I can push it back down to a point but not all the way. I have taken a few pics to show exactly what the problem is. I had the door panel off a few days ago to replace the window motor and could not figure out anyway to fix this problem. I am not sure what to do next. Any body had this problem before? What did you do to fix it?
All the way up
All the way up 2
Pushed down.

Thanks
Adam
Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

same problem.....would love to know the answer
Old 05-25-2005, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

No one besides My'98-Z and my self has had this problem?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

I replaced that piece on my old vette it came with a weatherstripping kit.

There are clips that hold it in if they are broken off You will need to get a new strip(However i think it is a dealer item but I could be wrong). If they arent broken off you can reattach them. Take off your door panel and give it a look.

Last edited by SgtB; 05-26-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have just now gotten around to fixing the problem.... I have gotten the old on off and started to put on the new peace but can not get it on. It is on in the same way as in the last pic I posted before but I can not get it to stay in place anymore then that. Can anyone help me out with this one?
Thanks
Adam
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weatherstrip Replacement

Removal Procedure

If the weatherstrip is removed the weatherstrip should be replaced.

1. Pull the weatherstrip from the retainer while cutting through the adhesive with a spatula. Most weatherstrips are bonded to the retainers with adhesive. Try not to tear the weatherstrip, keeping the weatherstrip intact aids in removal.
2. Remove all the old adhesive from the retainer or remove the retainer. Important: Most retainers are backed with foam sealing tape. To avoid scratching an acrylic roof panel do not use a scraper to remove the foam sealing tape adhesive from the panel.
3. If a weatherstrip retainer is removed, remove all the old foam sealing tape and adhesive from the mating surface.
4. Remove any broken screws.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the retainer, if removed. Insure the retainer is backed with foam sealing tape, if required. Replace any stripped screws. Lubricate the screws before installation to prevent breaking the screws.
2. Apply a continuous 3 mm (0.125 in) bead of weatherstrip adhesive inside the center of the weatherstrip retainer. Apply an extra amount at each end of the retainer.
3. Install the weatherstrip using a nylon spatula.
4. Finesse the weatherstrip at the joints to ensure a proper fit. Use thump grade sealer as necessary.
5. Allow the adhesive to cure before rechecking for water leaks.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply but that is not what I am looking for. If you look at the pics I posted in the first post you will see what part I am trying to replace. Thanks for the help though.
Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about weatherstripping?