General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake lights

ok so i replaced the brake light on my drivers side. it lights up with parking lights but not with brake lights. oddly enough our 98 V6 car is doing the same thing. anybody else have this happen? any ideas?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Try jiggling the turn signal and see if it comes on with the brakes. Same thing happened to me. I put a new turn signal switch in and now its good as new...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

when the turn signal is on the brake light still dosent light up

so you are saying that your turn signal switch messed with your brake light? on a camaro the turnsignal is completely seperate from the brake light
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

did you get the right bulb? It should end in a 57. eg. 3157. These have a dual fillament thus giving you brake and turn signal lights.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

i got it, i have NO clue what it was, becuase i replaced the light once before and it didnt work, and then i did it again (this time) and it worked for some reason...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Did you replace it with the same type of bulb and were they brand new? Sometimes, the metal on the bulb connector can wear down and not make a good connection. Again... Make sure it is a dual element bulb like canadian z28 says... Also, make sure that your harness that the bulb plugs into is clean.

On my turn signal switch problem, the brake light thing was intermittant for about 5 years until I finally figured out that if I jiggle the switch it would work... A way to test this is to back up against a wall and look at the reflections. Put your brakes on and move the lever around slowly to see if there are positions that cause your brake light to go out. In my situation, the turn signal lever was not going back to center but also not making the connection to the turn signal relay. If you can find a position in your lever that causes the brake light to go out and stay out when you let go of the lever, you probably need a new switch.