LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   How to remove seat belt? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/397898-how-remove-seat-belt.html)

2quick2angry 10-20-2005 05:35 PM

How to remove seat belt?

Anybody have any links showing the Right Way(tm) to remove the driver's side seat belt? I had to get a new seat belt guide because the idiots at Mr.Tire broke the one, so now I gotta undo the seat belt and thread it through the new seat belt guide. I can't seem to enter the right magical incantation into Google to get it to show me the way.

Thanks.

ACW 10-20-2005 09:44 PM

looks like car being asked about is 2001 Trans Am

Here's what I've got, fwiw... it's for the retractor in the roof rather than just the belt itself, but looks like for what you want to do, you might be able to just leave the retractor installed and do the rest :)

Seat Belt Retractor Replacement - Left Front Coupe

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the plug from the bolt (on the anchor plate that bolts the seat belt to the rocker panel).
2. Remove the bolt that attaches the plate to the rocker panel.
3. Remove the plate.
4. Pull the webbing and the plate out of the shoulder belt guide.
5. Lower the rear portion of the headliner finishing trim panel.
6. Remove the bolts that attach the belt to the rear roof panel.
7. Remove the belt from the rear roof panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the belt to the rear roof panel.
2. Install the retractor bolts. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (20 lb ft).
3. Raise the rear portion of the headliner finishing trim panel back into position.
4. Route the webbing and the plate through the shoulder belt guide.
5. Install the anchor plate to the rocker panel.
6. Install the anchor plate bolt. Tighten the bolt to 42 N·m (31 lb ft).
7. Install the plug to the bolt.

Kenafin_02TA 10-21-2005 01:13 PM

Both times I have to change out that plastic clip, I removed the fastner at the bottom of the seat belt where it bolts to the floor. If you follow the seat belt to the floor, there's a plastic circle with a slot in it. Remove that, it's just a cover. The first time I tried I cracked the edge of it off, no big deal to me, the second one I got without breaking. I think I used a flat head screwdriver to pry them off.

Below them you'll find a very large star-head bolt. I think it takes like a T55 or T60 star shaped bit (Sears should carry the bit if you don't already have one that large. We got a set of the star shaped bits and an adapter for a ratchet there). Use that to get the bolt out. Once the bolts out, the seat belt is loose and you can slide the bracket over the seat belt.

2001NBMZ28 10-21-2005 02:05 PM

I believe the vert seat belt guides have a slot in them (Camaros do for sure)...not as strong as the solid ones...just an idea for easy replacement.

Danny2tek 10-21-2005 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA
Both times I have to change out that plastic clip, I removed the fastner at the bottom of the seat belt where it bolts to the floor. If you follow the seat belt to the floor, there's a plastic circle with a slot in it. Remove that, it's just a cover. The first time I tried I cracked the edge of it off, no big deal to me, the second one I got without breaking. I think I used a flat head screwdriver to pry them off.

Below them you'll find a very large star-head bolt. I think it takes like a T55 or T60 star shaped bit (Sears should carry the bit if you don't already have one that large. We got a set of the star shaped bits and an adapter for a ratchet there). Use that to get the bolt out. Once the bolts out, the seat belt is loose and you can slide the bracket over the seat belt.

Thats how I did mine

ThumpersZ28 10-21-2005 07:41 PM

hold up.....

this post is for 2quick2angry.....you do not need to remove the seat belt to replace the holder on the seat....person on e-bay (quasar entrp screen name perrypam) sells 93-02 new gm loops for cheap....they sell one's which you have to remove to install...or they sell one's with a slit in them to slip over your seat belt

I brought the ones with the slit and you would be very happy ....I am
the gm part number of mine is #16799315

00cls1camaross 03-23-2014 12:10 PM

Bringing the thread back from the dead. I can confirm this is a T47

Tolley's94z28 03-25-2014 06:48 AM

Might as well add my helpful tidbit:

When removing the female end bolt (in the floor) be careful not to remove any of the rubbery gunk on the bolt. It is there to make a proper seal, and keep the bolt from backing out (I assume).

ramairetransam 03-25-2014 06:59 AM

subscribed

Tolley's94z28 03-25-2014 07:05 AM

Also, remove the headliner, at least the back part, and let it hang for clearance. Don't try to work around that shit, it's fragile!