General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Security Light is on, but car starts normally

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Security Light

I have my brother's 97 Camaro Z28 for the week, and he has thrashed it a bit. His buddy definitely helped him too much in a drunken rage. One of his obvious faults is that the yellow "security" light above the "unleaded gas only" is always on. He has stock everything on the car. His VATS keys start the car normally, and his keyless entry still works. When I start the car, the security light is on, and it doesn't turn off. I don't have a scanner, but I might be able to rent one. If you guys have any ideas as to what this is without using a scanner, I'd appreciate some input.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:58 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, here's what the troubleshooting info says for a 98 Camaro - hopefully similar for 97

SECURITY Indicator On, Engine Starts

Important: In order to avoid misdiagnosis, check for powertrain control module (PCM) diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

Disconnect the Body Control Module (BCM) connector C3.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
Is the SECURITY indicator illuminated?

If yes:
Inspect for a short to ground on circuit 728 between the BCM connector C3 terminal C12 and the instrument cluster connector terminal A3.
If the connection is OK, service the instrument cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement

If no:
Perform a lock cylinder and harness test. (testing for poor connections and shorts)
If the keys, the lock cylinder, and the cylinder harness are OK, replace the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in Body Control Systems. The security indicator will remain illuminated for approximately 1 minute after the repair is complete if a failure occurred in the previous ignition cycle.

Quick Reply: LT1 Security Light is on, but car starts normally