General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Will not Start What is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will not Start What is wrong

My buddy has a 1995 Firebird Formula. The car just died while he was driving it down the highway. Long story short we took it to my house and replaced the coil and the optispark and then turned the key and the problem is still there. The motor will turn over but will not start. Any ideas would be really really helpful. How can u test the optispark coil and the ICM Ignition Controle Module.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

You sure you got fuel???
Old 11-15-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

unplug the coil wire where it attaches to the opti-spark. Hold it the metal part of the wire near a header (non-coated) or some other grounded part of the motor. Have your friend turn the car over. If you see spark there then the rotor portion of the opti is fried, or you put the opti on wrong (wrong index).

If you don't see anything there than pull off the coil/ignition module and take it to an orielly/advance auto, etc. they can test the ignition module.

If it checks out good you have a bad wire somewhere - get a dvm and make sure all the wires to your ignition module are reading correctly and make sure your opti harness is plugged in all the way.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stupid to ask, but have you checked the battery or the alternator? If the alternator goes out, many times the car will still die while driving down the freeway just because the battery cant keep things going on its own. Ive also had the tips of the TR55 plugs(where the boot attaches) unscrew and the boot came off causeing the car to not want to start and to idle very poorly.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Default wont start

We went ahead and took the Auto Zone opti back off the car and we are going to order a GM opti so we will see if that works.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000WhiteTA
We went ahead and took the Auto Zone opti back off the car and we are going to order a GM opti so we will see if that works.
Try checking the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and inside the car to see if any are blown. Make sure you are getting fuel..you can pull a spark plug and tell. If the plugs are too fouled the car will not start either. Check the fuses they are an easy fix.

Matt
Old 11-21-2003, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Default Still wont start

Okay this is really messed up. We put a new GM opti on the car and went ahead and replaced the coil at the same time. Before we put the new coil on the car we had orielly check the ICM and it was good. The battery and the alternator are plugged in and they are also good. So we are a little confused to what it could be. When we try to turn the car on it wont fire. I guess the next step is trying the spark plugs. It does nothing but turn over. Please Please if anyone has suggestions I would love to here them.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Default wont start

We also checked the fuses under the hood and in the car and they are all good.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also checked the fuses under the hood and in the car and they are all good.
Take the coil wire off of the opti and stick a screwdriver in the boot that normally goes to the opti. Put the screwdriver close to the valve cover and have someone start the car. You should see spark jumping from the screwdriver to the vavle cover. If not your coil is likely to be bad, PCM is fried, or the optical sensor is bad. If you are getting spark then take off one of the spark plug wires and stick a spark plug on the end....hold the spark plug against the engine and have someone start the car. There should be spark coming from the spark plug in a timed fashion. Next pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. If they are wet or soaked from fuel the car will not start (I actually had this happen to me this weekend)(this can happen from trying to start the car too many times). If this is the case change the plugs and it should fire right up. Lastly, Make sure the opti was installed correctly. If it is not installed correctly it will not start. BTW, does the car sound like it is trying to fire up or is it just dead. These tests should only take about 5 min and you will narrow the problem down really fast.

P.S.---What is the fuel pressure? Check that too.

Good Luck and let us know if you find the problem

Matt
Old 11-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Have you cheked the fuel pump?????
Fuel filter?????
Can you hear the pump engage???

Check these things after you do what they said, it is something simple Ill bet
Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

mingoman
The fuel pump turns on when the key is in the ignition. The fuel filter is kinda a pain. I was going to try stuff under the hood before we tried that.

Nostang
I am going to try this stuff as soon as he brings me his keys. Like a dumbass he took them home last night so it is kinda hard to work on it.

Everyone thank you for all the advice, I will let you know what I come up with this afternoon.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Default wont start

I pulled a sparkplug wire off and then held it close to the plug and turned the motor over and there was no spark. I also took the wire that runs from the coil to the opti off from the opti end and put a screwdriver in the end and held it next to the valve cover and there was also no spark. Now I have no clue what is wrong. PLease help
Old 11-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I pulled a sparkplug wire off and then held it close to the plug and turned the motor over and there was no spark. I also took the wire that runs from the coil to the opti off from the opti end and put a screwdriver in the end and held it next to the valve cover and there was also no spark. Now I have no clue what is wrong. PLease help
this is soo funny. i should know. we must go to basics
Old 11-22-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

That means you have a spark problem . It could be a few things

Optical side of the opti-spark, opti-harness, pcm, wiring to ignition module, ignition module, or coil.

You said you already checked the ignition module and coil? I would also check the harness going to the ignition module to make sure you have the proper voltages there.

The opti harness could also be an issue *i think* if the key is on and you plug/unplug it (you can do it by the manifold) you should hear the fuel pump cycle.

Since it's a new opti we will assume the optical side is good - if someone has a spare pcm it might be worth it to swap that in and see if it starts.

Chris
Old 10-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

hey , i guess i dont feel alone . i have a 95 t/a and i am having the same problem . it will not start , just turn over, i have replaced the coil, icm,and the optispark, still nothing . i went out this morning and it fired right up . so i drove around then it died about 10 mins. into driving it , then started right back up so i headed home . when i got home i let the car idle for about 20 min. and it idled fine and before it died and after it died it ran normal. so after i let it idle i shut it off ,and then i tried to start it back up and nothing but cranking,i am really confused. this morning i went out to try it agian and when i opened the door my headlights started going up and down by themselves. i have an aftermarket alarm but it is unhooked so i dont understand why they went up and down .couldit be that the pcm is fried? is there any way to check the pcm? without the use of a code scanner. i am a little tight on $ right know . if you are anyone have any answers i would appreciate them and if i find out i will let you know what the problem is , and yes i am getting fuel,and the fuel pump is working before anyone ask....
Old 10-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

hey , i guess i dont feel alone . i have a 95 t/a and i am having the same problem . it will not start , just turn over, i have replaced the coil, icm,and the optispark, still nothing . i went out this morning and it fired right up . so i drove around then it died about 10 mins. into driving it , then started right back up so i headed home . when i got home i let the car idle for about 20 min. and it idled fine and before it died and after it died it ran normal. so after i let it idle i shut it off ,and then i tried to start it back up and nothing but cranking,i am really confused. this morning i went out to try it agian and when i opened the door my headlights started going up and down by themselves. i have an aftermarket alarm but it is unhooked so i dont understand why they went up and down .couldit be that the pcm is fried? is there any way to check the pcm? without the use of a code scanner. i am a little tight on $ right know . if you are anyone have any answers i would appreciate them and if i find out i will let you know what the problem is , and yes i am getting fuel,and the fuel pump is working before anyone ask....
Old 11-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Did you get the problem resolved? I'm having the same problem on a 1994 Z28. But it will crank sometimes and then won't crank. No spark when it won't crank. I had a 1988 Z24 once that had a bad crank position sensor...does anyone know if the '94 Z28 has one? Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sounds EXACTLY like a fuel pump. They go in and out at random times. I just replaced mine. One minute it would run and then it would start dying and it woudn't start for hours, then it would start and run perfectly and then in the whole again....i think you have a bad one all around, it's going to be a good 800 bucks if it is. so if there is power to the fuel pump the next thing to check is the compression. GOOD LUCK....