General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cold temperature = car starts poorly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold temperature = car starts poorly

when it's hot outside the car will start perfectly. when it's cold the car turns over several times before it starts. this isn't an ls1.

what do you guys think?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

im having the same prob
Old 12-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Teching In

Usually the culprit of extended crank times is fuel system related, like excessive fuel pressure bleed down or a pump that's not building pressure quickly. But those are not often temp related, and if they are, they generally occur moreso when hot.

To be clear, is the cranking speed normal and it is taking more revolutions? Or is cranking speed slow, and thus the crank time is extended?

If cranking speed is slow, the obvious answer is a weak battery. Always a good idea to get it load tested when the weather cools down.

I've also seen a few complaints on LS1's where high viscosity oil will slow cranking in the cold. For most stock(ish) applications, I would run 5w-30 in the winter months, at least where I live.

Also, if it just got cold, and especially if you don't drive that much, you could have warm weather blend fuel which is less volatile than winter blend, which would cause excessive crank times on a cold start in cold ambients.

Try a shot of starting fluid (not on the MAF). If it starts better, at least you know it is fuel or fuel delivery related.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an ls1, what is it then, provide info that would be helpful. Is it FI or carb'ed? Year and make of the vehicle would also be nice.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

If it happens only when cold, it is the sign of a failing battery.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Ohhhh, I read right past the part where it said NOT an LS1. Yeah, what is it then? That would make it a lot easier to try to help you out.

Again if crank speed is slow, battery is #1 suspect, but you need to tell us if it is a slow crank or extended crank. From what you said, "car turns over several times" I would guess your cranking speed and thus battery/starter are fine, but you need to clarify that.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry bout that. it's a 1991 toyota corolla. it turns over at regular speed, so i wouldn't think it's the battery. however, i have plans to have the charging system tested nonetheless.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

spark plugs? i'm just trying to figure out what i can do to fix it?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Toyota Corolla in an ls1 tech site!?!?! you gotta be shittin me... j/k I'm sure there is someone who can help, its been a while for me since I've worked on a toyota. I would check out the ignition system. Is it getting spark? Jeez I dont even know if its electronic ignition or points? Maybe it isnt getting gas?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do u change your oil or do u take it in. cause a lesser weight of oil is better for cold starts, somebody could have put too thick of oil in it. more then likely thats not it but iv seen it happen. just a thought
Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

i'd check out the ingnition BS...then if that doesn't work, just get a new car
Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well this car is my "new" car. i've had it a couple of months. i paid 1500 for it, it has an auto tranny, and in dallas city it gets 30mpg or better. it's definitely worth having!

i took the battery to pep boys today and they charged it up. it tested good, but needed to be charged. we'll see if that affects the cold starts.

i do know that since i've had it, i've left the lights on the car and killed the battery about 3 times, so do you think that would run the battery down altogether? i thought they recharged themselves, but apparently this battery hadn't...
Old 12-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned

if it tested good but required a charge i bet you'll have a problem with it very soon...My advice is to just buy a new battery for it and save yourself the trouble for next time...you might be late for work and lose your job, or you could end up getting hit by a train or something...

preventive maintainance
Old 12-11-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WsSickLs6
if it tested good but required a charge i bet you'll have a problem with it very soon...My advice is to just buy a new battery for it and save yourself the trouble for next time...you might be late for work and lose your job, or you could end up getting hit by a train or something...

preventive maintainance
so a battery having to be charged doesn't mean that the alternator and/or starter could be bad?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

it's very possible...get a new battery and then have someone check the charging system, do a drain test and whatnot...then go from there
Old 12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

what he said above, plus sometimes when you run the battery down all the way it actuay does efffect its performance in the future, depending on how bad you killed it or thats been my experience.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cold, it may want more enrichment. Still don't know
if it's carb or EFI though I suspect a primitive EFI.
If it's carb, and a shot of gas before cranking makes
it do better, then go adjust the choke. I don't know
from Toyota fuel injection.