General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drained radiator, now won't quit dripping.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drained radiator, now won't quit dripping.

Well, I had to drain and refill with more antifreeze due to it was going to get below 0 and It was good for 15 degrees (in the garage but still gets cold). So, i opened the valve to drain some and then refill with antifreeze and now it wont quit dripping.

I have a pencil shoved in there for now. Do I have to buy a new radiator or is there an aftermarket part I can get.. Anyone know? Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it dripping from the valve on the bottom of the radiator or somewhere else. I have found that I need pliers to tighten it enough not to leak. Be gentle though as with this cold weather and that plastic its easy to snap it off. If its still leaking I would think that a sealant could be used like silicone or other waterproof sealant.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
is it dripping from the valve on the bottom of the radiator or somewhere else. I have found that I need pliers to tighten it enough not to leak. Be gentle though as with this cold weather and that plastic its easy to snap it off. If its still leaking I would think that a sealant could be used like silicone or other waterproof sealant.
Yea, it is dripping out of the pee **** or pet **** (whatever the call it).. I tried several times to open it up and then re tighten.. But, it did not fix a thing (still dripped).. Was too damn cold to lay under there and fiddle with it (for too long) so I shoved that pencil in it to keep it from leaking.. I did manage to fill the radiator up and let the car heat up to circlate with the added antifreeze in it.. By the time the car was heated up and fine for now, my damn beer froze up that was sitting on the bench.. That sucked!

Should be fine for now. Was just wondering if they made a replacement part (as I did not look at it) to fix that..
Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's likely the little O ring that is twisted or broken. I've had this happen. You can take the old O ring and buy one to replace it, or just order a new piece from the dealer.