General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mustang fifth gear grinding/squealing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang problem, but it's not mustang specific

Well, my 5th has always been crappy, I have to double clutch to put it in 5th without grinding the gear. And even then, it still grinds sometimes. Well last night when driving from VA->FL near the end of the trip, there was a squealing noise. I'm 99% it's transmission related, since it only happens in 5th gear, and only when you keep a constant speed. Under a pretty good amount of throttle pressure 50%+ it doesn't squeal.. but once you let go and just rest your foot on it, or put it in cruise... it starts to squeal.... What am I going to have to do?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this may not be the magical answer you wanted but your 5th gear is fucked up.

probably a bad or worn syncronizer or shift linkage, time for a rebuild. but seeing as the ws6 is coming soon i say just dont use 5th gear till then, but im sure you want to sell it working.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
well this may not be the magical answer you wanted but your 5th gear is fucked up.

probably a bad or worn syncronizer or shift linkage, time for a rebuild. but seeing as the ws6 is coming soon i say just dont use 5th gear till then, but im sure you want to sell it working.
Yeh, I thought so. I'm not rebuilding it.. the car is going to my little brother so I don't care if its screwed up
Old 01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

had the same problem when i drove a ford 5 speed...Only it was a Cobra, same symptoms as you are having...Then it started to pop out of 5th, and then it would give me a hard time going into gears...And then one day i'm driving on the highway (had to hold it in 5th at this point) pops out of gear, then locks up the wheels and i do a nice little spin move across 3 lanes and get it off the road...

Put a T56 in, and then traded it for a car that wasn't a Ford
Old 01-07-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ebear
Yeh, I thought so. I'm not rebuilding it.. the car is going to my little brother so I don't care if its screwed up
Lol, you cant let your little brother have to deal with it! Usually little brothers have less money, at least replace the syncro or linkage!