General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hmm...odd noise coming from engine bay...help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm...odd noise coming from engine bay...help!

I have a 99 c5 with 37k miles on it. Just bought it last October. Now, I hear this strange, almost ticking noise when I'm on the throttle a bit, in low gear...almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but not quite, and there is NO noticeable loss in power...

Like I said, you can only hear it when you're giving it a bit of gas, when you let off, the sound stops completely. It is a very subtle ticking-type noise. Any ideas?

I'm taking the car to Chevy on Monday, but what can I expect?? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car does that too, its not very loud and only audible at certain rpm/throttle, usually on the lower end.

i remember i mis-shifted and over-revved a little at the track, but i heard if you bent a rod or something, the ticking is louder, and definately noticeable.

i'm thinking it's just valvetrain noise, or piston slap. i haven't taken the robs out to check yet, but i'm going to soon just in case.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Reznor
my car does that too, its not very loud and only audible at certain rpm/throttle, usually on the lower end.

i remember i mis-shifted and over-revved a little at the track, but i heard if you bent a rod or something, the ticking is louder, and definately noticeable.

i'm thinking it's just valvetrain noise, or piston slap. i haven't taken the robs out to check yet, but i'm going to soon just in case.
I definitely didnt bend a rod, cause the c5 is an auto and I just leave it in D My z28 was a 6speed and had a new motor cause the previous owner DID over rev and broke it, though...

on this one, if it's piston slap will Chevy give me a new motor?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.pistonslap.com/
Old 01-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Reznor

damn...LOL can't believe that site exists...

The sound doesnt quite sound like the example they use, though...I really don't know what it is...good thing I have the extended warranty.