General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help me out guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out guys

wasn't sure where to put this, but I hope you guys can help me out. Im in the precess of selling my car(98 TA A4), and am looking around for an M6.
I found one that I would like to buy, but it needs work, and I was wondering if I would be taking on too much with this one.
I found one and e-mailed him and asked about it, this was his reply

"it Had some minor front end damage, but i fixed most of it just never finished it up, also the ABS and BRAKE lights are illuminated in the instrument cluster and were like that when i bought the car, i bought it with a blown engine @ 20k miles, and replaced it with a corvette 98 model engine with 700 miles on it, i put 28k trouble free miles on the car until i ran off the road and messed up the front end, most problems with the car are minor, in my opinion, however there are a few. The engine runs great but the 3rd gear sychronizer is bad in the transmission, so i basically just skipped that gear rather than further damage it, the headlight gears, which are plastic, are stripped out and need replaced with the aftermarket brass gears for a permanent fix, the a/c works and blows cold however i took the belt off because it needs a new clutch, the bearing inside chirps when its in free motion, A/C OFF, and it was winter when i did this...i just don't have the time to mess withh the car, i have no garage, and it has been sitting for about a year and a half...so its gotta go! Thanx"

What kind of money am I looking at to fix it up after buying it?
and what engine would that be?

Hope you can help
thanks guys
Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds to me like its not worth it IMO. That’s the kind of car that will nickel and dime you to death. Plus their has been to many hands in the car, hands that didn’t know what they are doing half *** it, like not finishing work, not doing it the right way. Your going to jump into some one else’s mess and wont know were to start. I’m not trying to bash the idea, but I am sure for the money your going to get for your car you can find a better m6, I know its hard but you have to be patient. You dont want a car like that unless your getting a steal. espacially with the tranny problems. It would have to be a pretty good deal and the car better be everything you want like right color inside and out and the body better be straight no dimples in the rear quarters and the paint would have to be exceptional condition. Those are some things I would take into consideration when buying a car like that, again unless its a real good price.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it is a pretty good deal, and if I get what I want from my car Ill have at least $1500 to put into this car. And it does have everything I want. Another thing I have going for me, A friend of my grandfather owns a tranny shop, so I know I won't get ripped off..
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Y put anything in at all? Especially on a car from someone who REALLY doesnt wat to help you, admits the engine blowing, tranny faliing, no assurance on the ABS, etc etc. Save that 1500 and relax- you'll be glad you did.

Bought my 99 for 12k... no prob. Friend bought his 98 for 9500, engine blew in 2 months. Please, take your time or youll become a bitter, GM hater!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Don't waste your time or money on that one. It sounds like it's been beat to death and screwed with by everyone and his hamster. Don't let a low price sway you towards it. Putting $500 into a $500 car doesn't make it worth $1000. With everything that's wrong, ie: brake problems, tranny, new motor, front damage, god only knows what he's not telling you about it. You'll have to put so much time and money into it just to get it driveable, it won't be worth it taking that over a complete, unmolested/wrecked car. Take some more time, and put the repair cost into the price of a better car. There are more out there in much better shape then this one. Fiind one with 20K+ more miles then you'd want, if you want to save some money. These are great engines, and 20k mi. isn't a huge deal to them.