General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

tranny thuds, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny thuds, opinions needed

Alright my car is thudding from underneath the car semi-badly. It is worse when I let off the gas and gets worse the faster I go. I just checked the driveshaft which is tight, U-joints are tight also. I was able to check the rear tranny joint which was sound and it was fine. I only have ramps here at my house so I wasn't able to get under the car in the front to check the other tranny mount which could be the solution. Aside from those things, what else do you guys think my problem could be. The man who tuned my car said that it's not running right because he didn't set the rev limiter high enough for my tune and he's gonna correct it and my problem will be solved. I'm not so convinced. My pedals shake violently as well as the steering wheel. I don't think it's my rear end, could be wrong though. Any one having similar probs? help me out please.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TA makes a pretty loud thud when I get on it hard. 99.9999% sure its the tranny mount. Easy fix, I just procrastinate and let the new mount sit in the rear seat.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just had the car thorougly checked and some parts the of drivetrain could probably be replaced but the problem is of two concerns:

Something to do with my PCM tune. I've explained my situation a lot but I'll do it again. My car shut down at 105 from the factory, when I got my gears installed it shut down at 80 because the computer misread it on the speedo, When I got my tune, it removed my speed limiter, but right at that spot (pretty much right at 80), the car got VERY rough, and rougher the faster I go.

Next thing, it is connected to my rear end also cuz it is pretty much when I get into 4th gear (around 80) where this happens. I think it is related to the pcm tune but the problem is the rear end. It sounds like it could be a chipped tooth, or something of that nature but it seems too ironic to me that it appears right at that instant where my limiter was removed. These things are obviously connected, so I hope it gets better when my rev limiter is set higher like my tuner promised. Although, it doesn't sound very comforting. Plus my steering wheel and driveshaft shake as it is because my power steering pump is broke, makes the problem harder to detect, along with a misalignment, unlevel shocks, sagging body, and uneven tires because they have worn differently and I can't rotate them. Sorry had to let some of that go. But that all affects my problem.