General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with ignition on a friends car and catback suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ignition on a friends car and catback suggestions

First off, I have a 98 Z28 A4 with Jet Hot Headers and Y-Pipe, SLP Lid, Ported and Polished TB and so on, mainly bolt ons, but I still have the stock cat-back. Can I get some opinion on the Hooker cat-back? I want something that is going to be somewhat quiet but still free flowing, and only loud at WOT. Any suggestions?

My other question is on my friends 97 Camaro V6. It runs like complete and total crap sometimes and perfectly fine at others. I replaced the Catalyctic Converter, O2 Sensors, new plugs and wires, new MAF. But what I found out was, when it was running like crap, if I tapped on the coil packs with a wrench it would quit running rough and run perfectly smooth. So i figured it had bad coils, but it looked like the coils had been replaced before, except for one, which was stock. So I replaced the last stock coil and it is still the same way. I was wondering if I should waste the money to replace the other two coils. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

To answer your first question, when I worked at a performance shop we sold alot of Hooker catback systems for the F-body...They have a low rumble at idle and low RPM's but then becomes louder and more aggressive at WOT, it flows very well...would be a good choice.

Second question..check all connections to the coils and make sure they are tight...then if you think a coil is bad it wont hurt to replace it at least that would take one more thing out of the equation.

Good luck, I hope you find and solve your problem.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Teching In

THanks a lot, I will probably go with the hooker, it is the cheapest too. Did you see good dyno results with that catback? Also, if I replace those two coils and it still isnt running right, where do I go next, replace the whole ignition control module? Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Dyno results varied simply because of different mods with the cars we installed them on. You may see 5-12 rwhp.
More than likely it's the coils acting up..start there and see what happens..also check the plug wires...could have a bad one/two, trust that it happens even though they may be new...I've seen it.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Teching In

alright, thanks a lot, hopefully the coils fix it, I noticed that they are all different brands so that may cause some problems. I will start with the other two coils on this V6 POS. Hopefully I can get my Z in the 11 second club. But money, god, it is expensive.