General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear end rattle please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end rattle please help!

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you could please give me some advice on a problem I am having with my car. I have a 00 Pontiac Formula with A4 automatic transmission. I have a cyclic rattle coming from the rear end of the car so of like a rattle, short pause rattle, short pause rattle and so on. The noise ONLY happens when the car is moving and my foot is off the gas. It never happens when I am pressing on the gas and the slack on the drive train is taken up. Also it seems like the noise happens more when I take a right turn then when I take a left turn. It is also more likely to happen when the road is slanted to the right (more weight on the passenger side) than when the car is driving on a road where the road is slanted to the left (weight on driver’s side). What do you think is the cause of this? Bad shock? Bad wheel bearing? I am not talking about the klunk that often happens on rear drive cars once you get out of the gas. When this noise happens (always when the foot is off the gas), it happens over and over again, not just a single rattle. But when the noise does happen, all I have to do is to depress the gas (tightens up the drive train) and it goes away. Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine does it horribly when im coasting to a stop or at speeds less than say twenty. I have replaced bearings and such twice with even a new ring and pinion........problem still there. Best i can tell its slack in the little worm gears in your torsion. I finally got so pissed i just bought a whole new differential. For the record, it never let go, just got tired of the noise.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

check your hangers for your exhaust. the hanger that goes from the I-pipe that humps over your axle, well mine broke and i havent gotten it "professionally" fixed and just keep using that cheepo perforated hanger stuff. well it breaks or stretches everynow and again and the exhuast will just hit the panhard bar brace enough that on bumpy roads, or tight right turns it will rattle. check that out.

Ski