General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window motor help stuck can't get motor out after drilling rivets

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy window motor help stuck can't get motor out after drilling rivets

I have done everything but can't seem too get the window motor out i drilled out the four rivets but i cant get the motor out what I am i missing here I have looked at a few write ups here and it says it is supposed to fall out after drilling the rivets I can't get the motor out for the life of me.

Help please!!!!

**** I think I drilled out the wrong rivets. I think the rivets i drilled out are the bracket rivets and the rivets i need to drill out are the ones that hold the motor to the bracket. **** a 30min job turning into a two day job. this sucks I guess i am going to go buy a rivet gun and some rivets tomarrow and put the bracket back into place and drill out the right rivets.

Last edited by 01formulafromthebay; 03-14-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need a prety large rivet gun to get those done. You can just use bolts with lock washers.
You will have to drill access holes to get to the rivets that hold the motor to the bracket. There is a link to the write up with pictures of the access hole locations stickied somewhere.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

**** I Went to two different Hardware stores here in town and could not find the size rivets that i needed but i went to a body shop and they gave me the right rivets but I cant find a rivet gun big enough to pop the rivets. I am going to try the bolt nut and lock washer deal hopfully I can get this done today. **** this has been a real pain in the ***. The stupid manual said to drill out those four rivets but on this walkthrough it say to drill holes to get to the rivets.http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html I going to shoot the people that made the manual.

Thanks for the help OnA Fan

Last edited by 01formulafromthebay; 03-15-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yup, wrong rivets. The rivets you needed to drill out are the (3) that hold the motor to the bracket - not the (4) that hold the bracket to the door. And yes, you had to drill acess holes in the inner door panel to get to the (3) rivets in question. Actually, if done correctly, the entire process only takes about 1-1/2 hours.

Be careful if you re-install bolts in place of the larger rivets that the heads of the bolts do not interfere with the inner scissors mechanism of the window thru it's full travel. Best thing would be to re-install the rivets - I know where you're coming from on size of gun needed - I bought the correct size gun some time ago as I found during resto of several of my cars that it was needed many places...