General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car starting problem...stalls and cant restart again

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starting problem...stalls and cant restart again

The car has starting issues. I have it on a battery tender for winter but was dealing with problems in the summer of it not starting if it wasnt started every 20hours or so. A battery jumper pack was my best friend.

Bigger problem when you stall the car when going into reverse b4 its completley warmed up and the car will not turn over again under its own power.

Car has a c/h and tune.

Newer battery and ALT.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

You say you have a newer battery but this sounds like it could still be a battery issue. Have you had the battery tested? If not the battery, you may have a current draing while the car is off.

I've had a little trouble with the battery tenders... On my cars and tractors, they seem to work pretty good, but on my motorcycle and 4-wheeler, it kills them. Try charging the battery all the way up with using the alternator (take it for a long drive ~ 30 minutes). Let it sit for a week without any charger and see if starts right up. If it does not, try the same thing and disconnect the battery while it sits. If it starts right up that time, then you probably have a current drain happening somewhere. Maybe a lights on or something.

If you have a current meter you could test the current with the car off and forget about the "letting it sit" part. You should be pulling only a few milliamps with everything turned off. If your pulling 100's of milliamps, something must be running. Then check the easy stuff... Lights, radio, etc. Then start pulling fuses and see which one causes the current to drop. That should help you narrow in on your problem.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the h/c and a much needed better tune, not saying that yours isn't good enough, but my friend just put a cam in his car had bad surging would die if he braked too hard or put it in reverse from park, etc. I hope you have a hole drilled in your throttle body plate to allow for a slightly higher idle. You will also be able to tune the cam surge down a little but all cams are going to have a little depending on what the size of the cam is. What are the specs of the cam?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

The cam and heads were all put on and proffesionaly tuned by Speed inc.

Cam is 224/224

430 RWHP NA
Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

sounds like a possible fuel pressure regulator
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

firts ive heard of a Fuel PR? WHy do you say? Anyone else?