Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fog lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights don't work

I have a 1998 Trans Am that I have owned since new. I have approx. 34k miles on it. The last 3-4 years I have had increasing trouble getting the fog lights to work. I replaced the switch and that didn't fix the problem. The fog lights will work for the first week or two after I take the car out of storage from the winter and then don't work any more for the rest of the year. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix them?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock fogs? Does the fuse keep blowing? (its the same one for the tail lights on the panel inside) anything like that?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like corrosion somewhere in the wiring. Dries out during storage. Then starts up again when its out in the world awhile. Trace both the ground and the hot back a few connections. Clean em and di-electric grease em.

Car sounds like a keeper!

Have you been reading here awhile? Or just found the place? One post!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Mine did the same thing about a month ago. Bought the car, they were working fine. Then one day they just both went out, and won't come back on. Still don't work...
Old 05-21-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

try swapping out a relay you know works for the foglight relay--fusebox under the hood.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Mine has the same problem, 99 T/A mostly stock. Fog lights worked fine and then they both just quit at the same time. I've replaced the relay. I've checked the bulbs and the wiring that i could trace around them and found nothing. The switch inside lights up like normal when you try to turn them on. What else could it be??

I've found this problem in other posts but none of them has a solution!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea me too. I have a 98 and the fog lights haven't worked in a while. The switch has power but the lights no work.?.??
Old 07-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Teching In

i have a 99 SS and have the same problem.. my fog lights dont work but the light on the switch works...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pick up a cheap multimeter and start checking the wires for continuity
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it sounds basic, but your high beams aren't on are they? the fogs turn off with the high beams
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Teching In

mine has the same problem has n e one found the problem? thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump???
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Check to make sure the wires aren't exposed and grounding out somewhere.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

same problem here..and the switch is very hot too
Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The fog light wiring is very basic so quite easy to test/diagnose with basic equipment and electrical knowledge. The relay is the central device in the circuit so testing starts there. Get a test light or multimeter and check the following:
  1. Remove the fog light relay from its socket
  2. Turn on the headlight switch and fog light switch
  3. Check for power in the relay socket in the E11 (brown) and F11 (yellow) pins. Those are the two pins that are closest to the outside edge of the junction box - E11 is closest to the fan relay and F11 is closest to the fuses. If E11 has no power, check the TAIL LPS fuse, the headlight switch, and the brown wire from the headlight switch to the relay. If F11 has no power, check the fog light switch and the yellow wire from the switch to the relay.
  4. This is where a test light is actually better than a multimeter. If you have one, connect the clip end to battery power (the battery terminal bolt on the junction box is a good place) then touch the probe tip to terminal F9 (purple) in the relay socket. F9 is the terminal at the other end of the relay socket (next to the horn relay) closest to the fuses. Your fog lights should turn on (along with the test light bulb). If they don't, check the purple wire from the relay to the lamps, the lamp bulbs, and their grounds. If you don't have a test light, you can use a piece of wire but it would be best to use one with an inline fuse to avoid short circuits (the test light bulb provides a small load that prevents a short).
  5. Take your test light with the clip still attached to the power source and touch the tip to terminal E9 (light green) next to the F9 terminal you just tested. If the high beams are off, the test light should illuminate. Using a fused piece of wire instead will make your high beams illuminate (you're back feeding current to them).
  6. If all those things check out then the relay is the problem. Try swapping the horn relay into the fog light relay socket and see if the lights work.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

thanks...will look at that today
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

well ..very easy fix for me....it was the relay that was bad...swap it and all good !!!! thanks for the help !!!
Old 03-16-2023, 08:31 AM

Default Fog light Diagnostic Question

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The fog light wiring is very basic so quite easy to test/diagnose with basic equipment and electrical knowledge. The relay is the central device in the circuit so testing starts there. Get a test light or multimeter and check the following:
  1. Remove the fog light relay from its socket
  2. Turn on the headlight switch and fog light switch
  3. Check for power in the relay socket in the E11 (brown) and F11 (yellow) pins. Those are the two pins that are closest to the outside edge of the junction box - E11 is closest to the fan relay and F11 is closest to the fuses. If E11 has no power, check the TAIL LPS fuse, the headlight switch, and the brown wire from the headlight switch to the relay. If F11 has no power, check the fog light switch and the yellow wire from the switch to the relay.
  4. This is where a test light is actually better than a multimeter. If you have one, connect the clip end to battery power (the battery terminal bolt on the junction box is a good place) then touch the probe tip to terminal F9 (purple) in the relay socket. F9 is the terminal at the other end of the relay socket (next to the horn relay) closest to the fuses. Your fog lights should turn on (along with the test light bulb). If they don't, check the purple wire from the relay to the lamps, the lamp bulbs, and their grounds. If you don't have a test light, you can use a piece of wire but it would be best to use one with an inline fuse to avoid short circuits (the test light bulb provides a small load that prevents a short).
  5. Take your test light with the clip still attached to the power source and touch the tip to terminal E9 (light green) next to the F9 terminal you just tested. If the high beams are off, the test light should illuminate. Using a fused piece of wire instead will make your high beams illuminate (you're back feeding current to them).
  6. If all those things check out then the relay is the problem. Try swapping the horn relay into the fog light relay socket and see if the lights work.
Hey I know I’m just now bringing this back to life but had a question when doing your diagnosis WhiteBird00. Everything checked out until I got to number five when I was testing the E9 socket…..you say that using a fused wire would illuminate the high beams and using a test light would illuminate the test site itself if I’m correct? If so, whenever I go to test it with a test light, it actually illuminates my high beams instead of the test light itself. just curious on what that means because I’m no wiring expert! I just recently installed late model lighting headlight conversion, which worked great . I installed fbodyfutures halo fog lights a year ago. Everything was working fine until I installed a late model lighting headlights.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The light green wire is connected to the power side of the high beams circuit. It's set up that way so that when the high beams are on there's no ground for the fog light relay and the fog lights will be off while the high beams are in use.

Applying power to the light green wire through a test light should illuminate the test light bulb and may or may not also illuminate the high beams depending on how much current can flow through test light to the high beams. It's an electrical impossibility for the test light to pass power to the high beams but not illuminate itself because the power has to flow through the test light bulb to get anywhere. That's assuming a good old fashioned test light rather than one of the fancier new electronic ones.

In any case, if you got to step 5 in the list, just skip it and try swapping the horn relay into the fog light socket and see if the lights work. That whole diagnostic procedure I listed was more about proper diagnostic steps than it was about quickly determining the cause of the problem. In practical terms the list should have been: 1. Swap the horn relay into the fog light relay socket. If it works then the relay was the problem, otherwise start checking wires as described in the original list. It's much more likely that the relay is the problem than the wiring unless you have reason to suspect the wiring might be damaged.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The light green wire is connected to the power side of the high beams circuit. It's set up that way so that when the high beams are on there's no ground for the fog light relay and the fog lights will be off while the high beams are in use.

Applying power to the light green wire through a test light should illuminate the test light bulb and may or may not also illuminate the high beams depending on how much current can flow through test light to the high beams. It's an electrical impossibility for the test light to pass power to the high beams but not illuminate itself because the power has to flow through the test light bulb to get anywhere. That's assuming a good old fashioned test light rather than one of the fancier new electronic ones.

In any case, if you got to step 5 in the list, just skip it and try swapping the horn relay into the fog light socket and see if the lights work. That whole diagnostic procedure I listed was more about proper diagnostic steps than it was about quickly determining the cause of the problem. In practical terms the list should have been: 1. Swap the horn relay into the fog light relay socket. If it works then the relay was the problem, otherwise start checking wires as described in the original list. It's much more likely that the relay is the problem than the wiring unless you have reason to suspect the wiring might be damaged.
Hey man thanks for the reply. So I tried swapping the relay out with the horn relay and another one with the same part number and it didn’t change anything. I did all the steps you did after and number five was where I was having some confusion. After messing with it more I decided to use a jumper wire between socket f11 and f9 I believe and they work. I saw that on another thread when trying to bypass the high beam/fog light cut off. They have power and they come on with the switch like they are suppose to. Still unsure of what is going on!

Last edited by WS6_2001Bird; 03-17-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog lights don't work