General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

6.0L Truck - Service 4wd & Low coolant light

Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L Truck - Service 4wd & Low coolant light

Having some issues with my my 2000 Chevy 3/4 Silverado with 6.0L automatic. While I'm driving the Service 4wd light comes on periodically. Only happens once a week or so and stays on until I shut it off. When I start it back up it does not turn on until a few trips later. The truck is in 2wd when this happens. I've put it in 4wd and have not noticed any problems so I believe this is just a sensor. Where is the sensor and can I clean it or do I need to replace it?

Same thing is happening with the low coolant light. Coolant is not low but it comes on once or twice a week and resets when I shut off and turn the truck back on. I've searched the forums and I see the LS1 sensors have issues and people have decent luck cleaning them. Are the Truck sensors the same? Where is it?

Another issue I have is both the transmission fluid coolant lines and engine oil coolant lines are leaking. The lines are a combination of steel and rubber lines and they are crimped together. It appears they are leaking where the two are crimped together. Do I replace the entire line as a unit or do I need a crimp tool to assemble pieces and only replace what I have to? I can check with the auto parts store, but I trust some of your knowledge more... I'd like to keep this as simple as I can.

BTW, the truck is just shy of 80k miles and I've been doing a lot more commuting in stop and go trafic lately. I think I need a commuter car because this is going to wear out this truck quick. Thanks for your time guys... Roy
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the F-bodys, the low level sensor is about an 2-3 inches below the radiator cap. Its "squarish" looking.

Not sure about your other issues.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

You know one of the strangest things is I can't find the radiator cap on this truck. It's not on the top of the radiator like I would think it should be. Do these trucks use the reserve tank cap as a radiator cap? I took the shrowd off the radiator core expecting to find the cap... but no cap. Anyhow, thanks for the reply waterbug and I'll take a look for something of that may resemble it.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Bump....
Old 06-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help...

Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 71Formula
Having some issues with my my 2000 Chevy 3/4 Silverado with 6.0L automatic. While I'm driving the Service 4wd light comes on periodically. Only happens once a week or so and stays on until I shut it off. When I start it back up it does not turn on until a few trips later. The truck is in 2wd when this happens. I've put it in 4wd and have not noticed any problems so I believe this is just a sensor. Where is the sensor and can I clean it or do I need to replace it?
If your Z71 is equiped with the push button, shift on the fly 2WD/4WD deal, the next time the "Service4WD light" is coming on, look at the selector to see if one one the little lights that show what "drive" your in is not illuminated. That will cause the light to come on. It's a common problem with those trucks. You can either resolder the connectors at the back of the selector panel or just get a new one. Sorry I can't help with the other problems.

Search this Thread