General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

After driving in hard rain, (street floods also)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After driving in hard rain, (street floods also)

I was coming home and it was raining really hard. The roads werent even visible due to lots of water. Well after driving through street floods or whatever you want to call it, my car seemed to want to die for a second and then it didnt. Well I turned it off and then back on, and no problem. However, later on while driving, the service engine soon started flashing for about 5 seconds. I'm like WTF? I got it scanned with the OBD-2 and it said Multiple/Random Cylinder Misfire. So now what do I do. The street floods were high enough to touch my side skirts and everything underneath. My K&N filter was also soaked which I also think would've caused the car to bog a little bit.(I have the K&N FIPK for the lt1 cars, which has the K&N filter literally at the very bottom in front of the drivers side front wheel). Any suggestions you guys have? I havent even tried to turn on my car again(it did the last time), cuz Im scared that it wont turn on. But My filter is STILL soaked so I guess I'm going to have to let it dry. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Launching!

i had random misfire problems with my truck about a $1500 fix, 2 of my spark plug coils were fried....thats probably the problem i would take it to a mechanic to give u an estimate
Old 07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

This happens to all coil on plug vehicles of all manufacturs. The coils get wet causing a missfire. If you pull em out and dry them off it should be ok. Or they will dry on there own in time
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Ya probly just as Ksuburban said give it some time to dry out. I have had it happen with my 91 bird with a 3.1v6 and my new LT1 has done it. The road next to my college always floods if it rains anything near hard. You probly just got water on the coil causing the missfire or the wires. Eather way its probly just some thing that got wet and if u give it time to dry it will be fine.

Probly wouldn't hert to reoil the K&N filter once dry all the water might have taken all the oil out.