General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where is the cheapest place to buy turnsignal/running light sockets for my ta

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the cheapest place to buy turnsignal/running light sockets for my ta

hi please post the part number if you know it and where the cheapest place is to obtain the socket for the running light / turnsignal for a 2000 ws6 trans am mine got wet and shorted out PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

Part number is in the sticky at the top of this forum (https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=21 )
Trans Am turn signal / parking lamp (98-02), socket = 12159662
I'm not sure where the best place is to get it though. If I were to guess, the dealer or junk yard would be the only people that would carry it. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

EDIT:

actually, I just looked up advance auto. They have some sockets. It looks like this one MIGHT work but I'm not sure. They have a selection of different sockets if it doesn't.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=85827

Last edited by jkichline; 07-19-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace both sockets on my WS6 a couple months ago and found them at Advanced Auto. I don't recall the part number off hand, but had found it a few days before I started the project when searching through the forum. It's in here somewhere.

On a related note: It took me about two weeks of messing around with these sockets before I could get bulbs to seat fully. They kept popping out. There were a couple times I thought that if I put much more pressure on the bulb (while trying to stuff it deeper into the socket) the damn thing might break. They never did. Eventually, they finally seated all the way (I heard a distinctive "click") and I haven't had either one pop out since.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the right side markers plug? The plug is completly eaten away, and the metal prongs the inside it are eaither rusted out or missing. Whats the part number for the plug?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cobra2WS6
What about the right side markers plug? The plug is completly eaten away, and the metal prongs the inside it are eaither rusted out or missing. Whats the part number for the plug?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/336981-lt1-lt4-ls1-ls6-f-body-part-numbers.html
Old 07-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Bump...

Having a heck of a time getting an aftermarket socket. The local dealer charged me $65 for just the 3 wire socket last time, and I really don't want to do that again....

Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and Car Quest all list the same socket for the 98 TA turn signal/DRL. The socket is set to take the single filament bulbs with the little prongs that you push in and twist, not the blade type two filament bulb that we have. I've looked on here for the correct part number for the parts houses, but other than the factory one, can't find it. Anyone??

Second question... As the socket all these parts houses keep trying to give me is a 3 wire, just like the one I need, has anyone ever replaced the socket with the other wrong one I keep getting? What did you do, how did it work, did it cause any problems losing the DRLs and just having turn signals, and how did you wire it, as I think the cars 3 wires, two are hot and one is a ground (DRL hot all the time and turn signal pulsed hot), and I don't recall what the wiring config on the other is.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Well, I may have answered the question myself. Went to a little po-dunk local place where I live, not expecting them to have much of anything, and it looks like I might have found what I was looking for. Conduct Tite socket (same one all the big parts houses sell) part number 85881. This is not the one listed in the book for our cars, but does have the three wires and appears to accept the blade style 2wire bulb. I haven't installed it yet, but I think I may have struck gold. Cost was $12, which compared to about 5-7 for the wrong socket at the big places, so I don't know if it is because everything at this place is high or the socket itself is a little higher due to the design. Any problems and I'll post back up. Man I hope this works...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ That is the right one. I have bought four of them so far at my local AutoZone, $7.99 each. You say the book lists a different one? That may be why I had trouble finding them originally. When I first went to buy one, the clerk looked the part up in the computer and said they didn't have any. I looked around the store a bit and found the one I needed. I guess his computer was showing a different part.