General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

brake light won't go off

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question odd brake problem...

K well on the 1999 Tans am we got, that we are fixing up we got a problem. the brake light is on, but the E-brake it all the way down. It doesnt go out or anything. anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix it?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your talkin about the dash light correct?
If so pull off your console and check the wiring below. Im thinkin there is a switch down in there.
J
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fluid level is OK? Sensor connected?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a reed switch inside the center console. A light blue wire is attached to it which runs up under the dash somewhere. Normally, when the brake handle is up, the switch is closed and the blue wire is connected to ground, causing the light to come on. When the brake handle is down, the switch is open and the light is off. It appears as if your switch is permanently closed.

Temporary Fix: Unplug the blue wire from the switch. (However this will prevent the trunk from opening while the car is running.)

Better Fix: Replace the switch.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unplug the connector from the base of the e-brake handle. If the light goes out you need a new switch, if the light stays on you it may be grounding somewhere else before the switch, or you have an actual brake problem causing the brake lamp to illuminate.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. I had a similar problem. I first looked at the switch. It is just an exposed spring loaded contact switch. You can open and close it by hand. If you can physically make the contact and the light doesn't go off, then you have an actual brake problem. On my car, the combination valve was slid back which throws a swich causing the Ebrake light to stay on. I could still drive the car but only the front brakes were working. The combination valve blocked off the fluid to the rear lines. The reason was becuase I had air in the rear lines. I totally bled the braking system and I was good to go.