General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt and plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt and plug change

How hard is it to change plugs on an LS1 F-body? What about the serpentine belt? Am I going to need any special tools? I work in corporate for a major auto parts distributor so I get a nice deal on parts and i'd like to do start doing things myself instead of paying someone else. Is this something I can tackle or is it best to let a shop handle it? Also what kind of plugs and gap should I use? No flames please, but where I live I have nowhere to work on my car and i'm going to my parents with a nice garage this weekend.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

the plugs are easy to do, just need basic handtools, hardest part is gettin your hand in their to do it. It takes time but isnt difficult. as far as the belt goes that should be easy too. their is ALOT of room to get at the best, all you have to do is loosen the tensioner take the old one off then retension it.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

There's a large current thread in this section talking all about changing spark plugs. It'll tell you everything.

The belts real easy. 13 or 15 mm wrench to turn the tensioner (I can't remember which one). Then just take the old belt off and put the new one on. Only takes a couple minutes to do.