General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cant Remove Motor Shaft Nut Off Headlights!!!!! Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Remove Motor Shaft Nut Off Headlights!!!!! Help!!!!!

My headlights were making that jack hammer noise, so I went ahead and tried to do the free mod, switching the gear to the other side. Well, I get the little lug nut off the end of the motor shaft, but cant get it to budge off the shaft, the control arm that is. The nut is off, just cant get the control arm off. I dried WD40, a few other degreasers and rust removing products around the house but no luck I beat it with a hammer, tried prying it off, won't budge. Someone please help me with how you got yours off or what I can use!!! thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

um...so i guess everyone who has fixed there lights, the control arm came right off. no problem..
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately yes, mine did
Old 08-01-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine came off as well. If you have the head light as high as it will go, it makes the arm really tight. You could try to loosen the tension off the arm by using the manual ****. Using a long screwdriver/prybar to pop it off.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cause i have degresser galor on there, rust remover, i tried banging it with a hammer, and it won't budge. It's the bolt right under the control arm right? The shaft coming from the motor? Cause the bolt came off, but it's stuck on their. I am afraid to pry it to much cause I dont want to break the plastic motor housing...
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just loosen the bar a little like I said above and pry it off with something big. My buddies was stuck and I got it off with a 2' prybar. It'll pop off, you just have to get mean with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so, should I have the lights up as far as the manuel **** will let it go, or should I not extend them all the way and leave them down a little? what should i pry it against, like something metal or right on the plastic motor? cause i tried using a screw driver and it was bending the driver.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikeair042
so, should I have the lights up as far as the manuel **** will let it go, or should I not extend them all the way and leave them down a little? what should i pry it against, like something metal or right on the plastic motor? cause i tried using a screw driver and it was bending the driver.
Crank it up all the way and then back it off a little. Find something wide enough to fit in between the two. Your not actually prying on the motor, but the metal bracket it bolts to. So you can't hurt the motor. Don't go all ape on it, but you will have to flex some muscle. Just becaerful when it does pop off. You knuckles wont like you to much if you don't.