General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Change light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Change light?

I had my oil change about 1500 miles ago wih 10w40 Mobil 1 full synthetic. Just recently when I start the car the oil chage light will come on for about a minute and then go off. What dose this mean?

I did notice that when it did start comming on it seemed the car had burnt about a quart of oil since my last change. When i saw this I put in another quart but the light still comes on. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GM oil life system needs to be reset when you change it. Turn the key to run and press and hold the trip/oil reset button on the dash for a few seconds until it flashes and goes off - or turn key to run and depress the gas pedal 3 times to reset it. I go by mileage, comes on too late for me.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my guess is the light was never reset when it was changed last, or you've been beating the snot out of the car since I think it goes by engine revolutions rather than mileage. Either way, it's basically totally useless if you're running a good synthetic like M1 or GC. Even the guys who would religiously change dino oil at 3k generally agree that full synthetics can go 5-6k no problem. So just go mileage and follow NBMZ28's advice for shutting it off.