General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plugs, MAF, or IAC/IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs, MAF, or IAC/IAT?

I am having a continual idle problem. Its a six speed and when I disengage the clutch, basically let it idle, the rpms going up to around 1000, drop down to ~600, and then after a couple seconds find their home at 800. Its annoying because it causes the car to sputter and I miss just being able to idle at 800 rpms and not have to worry about the car possibly dying. The car has 39K miles on. I think its one of these three things but other suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

+I cleaned the MAF but that didnt change anything so I dont know if its possible it could have gone bad

+I am still on the stock plugs and they have seen a few bottles of nitrous so I dont know if that could have caused them to fail prematurely. The nitrous was taken out of the car a while ago.

+Could the IAC/IAT have gone bad? I dont know which one it would be but I think those are the two on the TB.

Anyways I am just looking for advice on which of those three to start with or seeing if anyone knows of anything else that might fix my problem! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

IAT is not on the TB, it's on the air lid. The two on the TB are the IAC and the TPS.

Did you ever swap your IAC motor with another to see if the problem got better?

A plug change seems like an easy thing to try that can only help.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Did you ever swap your IAC motor with another to see if the problem got better?

A plug change seems like an easy thing to try that can only help.
I never got the chance to swap the IAC. I had to leave for school before I got the chance so that kinda sucked. I agree about the plugs so I guess I will start there. Thanks!