LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   Car won't idle without gas, randomly..... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/578443-car-wont-idle-without-gas-randomly.html)

silverTA2002 09-19-2006 12:20 PM

Car won't idle without gas, randomly.....

This has happened to me twice in the last two weeks. It's never done this before.

I'll start the car, and drive it, and it won't hold an idle unless I push the gas. Without throttle, it WILL NOT even try to idle, it just goes straight to zero rpm. No surging, nothing.

Other than these two times, the car drives, idles, fine.

What could it be that would randomly keep the car from idling? EGR? IAC motor? How do I fix it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the problem has only existed for two 10 minute periods at a time so I couldn't log to see if my IAC counts were ok.

Maybe unrelated, but a week ago, I was driving normally at 30mph in 4th gear, then for maybe 1/10th of a second, the radio shut off, gauges went all to zero, and car shuttered (like it shut off for a split second), then everything was perfectly fine. Freakin wierd, and it's never happened before or since. It's like all electrical was CUT to my car for a fraction of a second.

blown 346 09-20-2006 10:01 AM

Could be a computer problem if the car was acting like it was possesed. Most likely a tuning issue.

02SS#406 09-20-2006 10:20 AM

This may sound way off, but check your battery terminals very carefully. These cars can do some funky things when the charging system is out of whack. Take off both connectors, and look for corrosion, etc.

Revelation Z28 09-20-2006 10:22 AM

call john constantine! :jest:

2001chevroletz28 09-20-2006 10:29 AM

mine was doing that is was the battery

Weezzer 09-20-2006 10:31 AM

As far as the off/bad idle, clean your IAC valve. This will get dirty and sometimes cause it to stick. Its on the drivers side of the TB.

As far as it cutting out, it may be a bad cable /battery connection as has already been suggested.

silverTA2002 09-20-2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Weezzer
As far as the off/bad idle, clean your IAC valve. This will get dirty and sometimes cause it to stick. Its on the drivers side of the TB.

As far as it cutting out, it may be a bad cable /battery connection as has already been suggested.

Battery terminals look pretty good. I replaced them when I replaced the battery last year. It's only happened once. It could've been a fluke.

What do I clean the IAC valve with? Also, is it the top thing, or the bottom thing on the TB?

Weezzer 09-20-2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
What do I clean the IAC valve with? Also, is it the top thing, or the bottom thing on the TB?

You can clean it with carb cleaner, it has two torx bolts/screws holding it on the TB and a wire connector comming off of it. Its on the top driver's side. Be sure and take it off the car to clean it.

silverTA2002 09-20-2006 09:04 PM

Cool, thanks. I'll try that tonight.

Of course, tonight on the way back home.... .IT DID IT AGAIN!!! (won't idle without throttle).

And then, right about when I get home, it stops. I tried to log, but it idled fine, IAC was fine...... GRRR.

Revelation Z28 09-20-2006 11:39 PM

tps maybe, or plug wire(s)

staringback05 09-20-2006 11:46 PM

could be alot of things....id go with a computer problem, failing fuel pump, intake leak, lol even the little whole in the throttle plate could be plugged

Revelation Z28 09-21-2006 12:32 AM

fixed lol

Originally Posted by staringback05
lol even the little whore in the throttle plate

1sick'98WS6 09-21-2006 01:01 AM

maybe cam shaft position sensor?