General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

One honeycomb tail light darker than other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One honeycomb tail light darker than other?

My 01 Trans Am has a darker honeycomb than the other. All brake and parking lights work. Which bulb makes the honey comb have lighting even when the car is turned off?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is the same way and apparently is a somewhat common thing. Somehow water gets in there and then more or less etches the mold into the plastic and nothing apparently can be done to remove it . I've taken mine completely off and soaked it several times with different cleaners to no avail. I dont know of anyone that has been successful at removing the blackened stuff
Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

The black stuff is actually the the plastic that is under the reflective paint that has been corroded due to water damage. Other than the pop up headlights this is probably one of the most common problems with firebirds. Only way to fix it is to buy a new tail light. I just picked a new one up for about $200.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, that explains everything...my parking light lense on that side always has dew in it in the mornings...maybe I'll just soak the other one to match
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firebird5134
The black stuff is actually the the plastic that is under the reflective paint that has been corroded due to water damage. Other than the pop up headlights this is probably one of the most common problems with firebirds. Only way to fix it is to buy a new tail light. I just picked a new one up for about $200.

Dayum! ..And I bawked when the local salvage yard charged me $100 for my right tail light. I guess I got a deal then. What makes water get into these things? I cant find where the entrance is, seems sealed because of the lip of the hatch.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by mc01ta
Thanks, that explains everything...my parking light lense on that side always has dew in it in the mornings...maybe I'll just soak the other one to match

Yea then you can tell everybody you have a black-out kit for your honeycombs!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
. What makes water get into these things? I cant find where the entrance is, seems sealed because of the lip of the hatch.
I found a weep hole in the bottom edge of mine where to pieces of plastic are put together
Old 08-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I used clear silicone to seal mine and no issues with water since. But it is still darker than my other which bothers me. I've heard to try rubbing alcohol. Anyone else?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IAFFLS1
I used clear silicone to seal mine and no issues with water since. But it is still darker than my other which bothers me. I've heard to try rubbing alcohol. Anyone else?
can't find the exact thread I was looking for but here is another one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ail-light.html

basically the darkness is caused by the reflector "chrome" deteriorating, so the solution is to take the lens off the housing and redo the chrome reflector.

Quick Reply: One honeycomb tail light darker than other?