General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squealing Idler pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Squealing Idler pulley?

Ok I have this horrible squeal coming from either the belt or a pulley. I replaced the idler pulley and both the main drive and ac belt. It solved my issues for a while but eventually that bird chirp came back, and now it just squeals like crazy all the time.

I suspect I may have overtorqued the idler pulley and caused the dust cover to rub the bearing somewhere. Can I just take the dust cover off? Which side is the dust cover the inside or outside or both? Could I remove one or the other or both or neither ?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

B U M P
Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be two dust covers, one on the inside and one on the outside. I would remove the idler pulley, inspect it, and reinstall it. It takes all of 5 minutes. While you have the belt off, I would also turn other pulleys to make sure it isn't one of them that's causing all the noise. I recently replaced my idler pulley, tension pulley, and alternator. They were all squeaking like hell.

Also if you got an idler pulley from autozone, napa, or kragen, you may not have to use the dust covers. Most of them don't require you to use them because they have sealed bearings. That's what I read on the instructions, but I chose to install them anyway.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Its from autozone, didn't come with any instructions though. I will yank the dust covers off and hopefully that will stop it. I think that baby bird chirp is probably coming from the alternator, but I can live with that one for now.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I just yanked the idler pulley, and I noticed it was spinning really wobbly on the bracket. So I took it out and the seals for the bearings are completely gone and the cover on one side is falling off. This pulley is like brand new maybe 3,000 miles on it. Im gunna take it back to autozone and throw a fit.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow! I'm so surprised, I took the pulley back to autozone and said hey, I bought this pulley here a few months ago, its only got like 4500 miles on it and the bearing is totally destroyed and it has a nasty wobble, can we do something about this? They asked for a receipt which I didnt have. But they gave me a replacement anyway! I couldn't believe they didnt give me any **** and still gave me a new one.

Buuut, it fixed the problem!! The car is silent, ... well except for the exhuast

Damned Idler pulley.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

I know this thread is old as dirt, but i figure if i revive it somebody will be able to answer a quick question and be able to verify that the "dust covers" for the drive belt idler pulley, are completely trashable and not necessary? I believe earlier I had possibly overtorqued the pulley with both the shields on and it was tough to rotate by hand if I could do it at all, AND started the car, felt the pulley spinning, although still making noise and different noises here and there like i was about to spin the pulley off the bracket,shut look car down and looked underneath the hood, felt the pulley/bracket and had a metal shaving or two on my finger, so im guessing the "shields" were rubbing? What do YOU think?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it ever normal for a chirping pulley and tensioner to stop chirping after driving a while? Could it be leaked oil that's lubricating it?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Teching In

If you're going to do one pulley, do them both, the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. I did both of mine and I still had the dreaded squeal/squeek/bird chirp. So what I did was replace the belt with a Goodyear Gatorback belt that I got from Autozone.

Chirp all gone.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
Is it ever normal for a chirping pulley and tensioner to stop chirping after driving a while? Could it be leaked oil that's lubricating it?
Mine does that. it takes about 20+ miles to quiet it down. My water pump pulley has a residue on it. Not sure what it is cause is may have tracked from else where. The flat side of the belt has plenty of grip. Im lost. Ive replaced the belt already. It was quiet for about 4 days. then it came back.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

i regrease mine and it works better then the new bearings
Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ae13291
i regrease mine and it works better then the new bearings
I just read the other thread saying dont buy new ones repack them. Sounds like a plan. I already have some bearing grease. I hope this works cause its embarrassing. Kinda hard to cruise around and intimidate stangs and imports when it sounds like a got a bird tied to the belt.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lunatik
I just read the other thread saying dont buy new ones repack them. Sounds like a plan. I already have some bearing grease. I hope this works cause its embarrassing. Kinda hard to cruise around and intimidate stangs and imports when it sounds like a got a bird tied to the belt.
yea real easy dude, just pop off the caps carefully with a pick! and use a good type of grease with a low heat range so it can water out and spread through out the entire bearing
Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Launching!

I was wondering how exactly to take it apart. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Squealing Idler pulley?