General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tick tick tick....exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tick tick tick....exhaust leak?

I have had a slight ticking problem ever since my cam install in April. Headers had to be removed for install, so they were reclamped on afterwards. The ticking I get is usually very noticeable after 2 things. 1. If it is wet, raining, or damp/moist out. The ticking is while I am driving, accelerating, but when I come down to idle it stops. 2. After I get on it good, if I am racing someone, if I do 90+ MPH consistently for 5-10 miles or so, when I come down to 40-50 to slow done to get off the freeway I will notice it during the deceleration. Hardened pushrods were put in, new spark plugs last Sept. Any guesses to what my tick is? It's very rarely noticeable at idle, slight ticking but it seems more like the "Sewing machine" sound that people talk about after a cam swap. Oil used is the German made Syntec. TIA
Old 12-21-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start the car and feel around the headers for an air leak. just be careful not to burn yourself. if you have aftermarket valvesprings it could be them. if not, maybe the stock ones are in need of a change. my valvesprings make a slight tick but its not that loud.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I have aftermarket springs, PRC I believe. I checked it again tonight while driving. Here is how it goes. The ticks actually go with the RPMs, the higher the RPM, the higher and faster the ticking, it's very rapid above 4000 RPMs. I would ride it up to 4000 and then let the car out of gear, and while it decelerated the ticks slowed with the RPMs, until it hit idle at 900 and they stopped. Don't know if this helps any..........
Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its not an exhaust leak....i might actually look into a transmission issue....noise with rpms can sometimes coincide with a problem from there....not many people think about it....ever so remotely it can happen
Old 12-22-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have ticking on my car, i thought it was an exhaust leak, it's the injectors, get them cleaned, it's never a bad idea to get them cleaned. Try that and go to something else.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an update, maybe this helps to diagnose this thing. I have noticed this past week that when I ride a gear real high up in RPMs for awhile, like above 4000 RPMs for a half mile or so, that the ticking gets noticeably worse. Even after I slow down or some back down in RPMs, it ticks hard for awhile and then settles down to where it's not even notcieable. Also after I raced someone recently and drove the first 4 gears all the way up to 5800 RPMs, it was loud afterwards, and again took a minute or so of reg driving to stop again. Is this something major to be worrying about heree?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

I think its normal. exhaust leaks are real noticably. both my SS's do it, both got cams, both have headers. i usually don't loose sleep over it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

my 01 trans am ticks but only when in gear, sounds like an exhaust leak but cant find it, who knows, if i put it in neutral and rev it, it doesnt tick, only when in drive, any hints? also keep in mind that the passenger cant hear it so i guess its only coming from the driver side, sounds like around the cat, which i did replace a few months ago but since then i have tried to re tighten the bolts but no luck
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it seems to be running properly and it is just a noise i wouldnt sweat it. i have patriot gold springs and they tick, anyone else have a tick with these springs?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
if it seems to be running properly and it is just a noise i wouldnt sweat it. i have patriot gold springs and they tick, anyone else have a tick with these springs?
I'm running PRC's, maybe that's all it is, after riding it hard the tend to make the most noise.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Teching In

May not be even close to what your problem is, but I had a similar tick, tick, tick noise on my 99'. I noticed that this ticking noise would stop when I pulled up the emergency brake. It was wierd, so I investigated a little farther and found that it was a faulty Daytime Running Light Module that was ticking like a bomb. This module is located right behind the radio.
Odd as hell, but it plagued me for a while and then Whooop, there it is!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a "lazy" lifter then changes in oil pressure
& viscosity can make a tick come and go. With the cam
install presumably you had to take rockers on and off,
maybe these just need readjusted for preload?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you have a "lazy" lifter then changes in oil pressure
& viscosity can make a tick come and go. With the cam
install presumably you had to take rockers on and off,
maybe these just need readjusted for preload?
My oil pressure stays at 40, only when I get on it and accelerate does it go up, than it settles back down to 40, never below.

Quick Reply: Tick tick tick....exhaust leak?