LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   90,000 miles "problems" help (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/628016-90-000-miles-problems-help.html)

DayUSeX 12-21-2006 04:27 PM

90,000 miles "problems" help

So i have a 98 ws6 with like 9,006 miles on it. Dropped it off to the dealership to get the oil changed. Get a call from the guy saying he wont touch it becuase there is a "milky" substance in the oil cap. He then tells me my options are to buy a new car. And that is about it. Funny thing was before i took it in, I was about to change the oil and checked the cap and all that and nothing. And while jacking the car up I realised i didnt have the time and just buttuned everything back up and took it there. So does anyone have any advice for me??

2001NBMZ28 12-21-2006 04:53 PM

90K or 9K? New car? Surely not! Clean the cap and change the oil yourself and see what it looks like. Guessing it's just from a lot of short trips.

Asmodeus 12-21-2006 05:07 PM

go get your car, if there's nothing milky on your dipstick, you're fine.. then get it changed somewhere else. milkiness on the underside ofthe cap can just be condensation. don't pay the dealership anything, doesn't sound like they know too much.

RPM WS6 12-21-2006 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by DayUSeX
Get a call from the guy saying he wont touch it becuase there is a "milky" substance in the oil cap. He then tells me my options are to buy a new car. And that is about it.

Are you serious? I mean, really?

That statement is absolutely rediculous. Was this a GM dealer? GM should offer that facility to the military to use for performing missle testing.

Pick up your car NOW. And don't talk to anyone at that shop ever again. You might catch some sort of a dumbass disorder that seems to be spreading over there.

JerseyLS1TA 12-21-2006 06:19 PM

Are you sure they're mechanics?

iroc85blu 12-21-2006 06:43 PM

i agree those people are very stupid. Its most likely condensation. I used to change oil for a living and about one in ten vehicles i did had the same scenario.

KillerKlown 12-21-2006 08:51 PM

Don't trust the dealer!!!! Have someone who knows cars look at it if your concerned. Should be fine though.... Mech at the dealer prob has "milkshake splash" on his glasses from lunch...

MJK 12-21-2006 09:12 PM

Man,I would be scared that they messed with the vehicle to "prove thier point".

Pick your car up ASAP from them.And change it yourself.

I know you said you ran short on time and I know where you're coming from with that.I am sure all of us have been in that position but,next time if it were me,I would just let it go a couple extra days until I could change it myself...

I hate to take chances like that.I know its just an oil change but I have 3 friends that have had serious engine damage because of them taking thier car to have the oil changed by someone else.

Take care and good luck!

Grimes 12-22-2006 01:32 AM

Like said before, if you make only short trips in your car, it will not get up to operating temps, and you can form milky substance under the oil cap. I would change your oil, and keep an eye on things. Also try to get your car into operating temps more. That dealership is trying to rip you off hardcore.

bjamick 12-22-2006 11:45 AM

Sounds like a bad case of the dumbass syndrome, ive been seeing alot of that lately

98ws61le 12-22-2006 01:47 PM

don't ever worry about whats on the oil cap....always go by the dipstick and if in doubt drain it..... case in point..... 99 grand cherokee.....young kid call me over shows me the oil cap...its foamy..he says u have a blown head gasket that why it like that....i say thanks but there is a tsb regarding foamy oil from Jeep.... he looks at me like i have 10 heads...that was about 3 years ago........
ps if this guy actually said the only fix was to buy a new car....he needs a kick in the ass and a call to corporate

INMY01TA 12-25-2006 12:38 AM

Change your own oil.