General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

4th Gen Headlight Motor Gear Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4th Gen Headlight Motor Gear Q

Is there a way to disconnect the motor from the wiring harness w/o have to cut and splice lines? Performing the brass gear mod to the headlight motor. Not clear on how to separate the wiring so I can take the motor assembly to the work bench. Took the motor apart, BIG MISTAKE, now does anyone have any suggestions on getting & keeping the brushes/springs in place while putting the motor together?

Last edited by Dave1970; 01-05-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default .

Hi, yes there is an easy way to take it out. There is a plug that you will have to reach up under the ledge that the headlight motor is on, and you will feel a huge plug that is attached by a push pin connection. Pull it off and then you will see the big gray connector. Unplug that, and the 2 connections at the headlights before or after you unbolt the motor from everything, then you can take it wherever. Yes, big mistake pulling the motor apart. I did it only because I already replaced my motor, and had this busted one laying around. You just need to make sure that the tabs are securly pushed in so that the back of the motor has no play. Otherwise, it will move back and forth and the brass gear will get stripped also. Here are a few pics I took to help another member. I will post this now, and it a few mins, I will take a pic that can hopefully give you an idea of how to put the brushes back. They can be a bitch.

You can use JB Weld ro also secure the back of the motor if the tabs won't hold that good.

This is a pic of the brushes upside down. Make sure you flip them over the right way like in the next pic.

Here is a pic of the slots where the springs go to push the brushes inward.

The best bet is to place the brushes back in the motor w/out the springs first. Then put one side in, and use a small tool (screwdriver or whatever) and push the brushes to one side of the case so that you have room to place the other spring in. Make sure the spring fits snugly in the slot behind the brushes, otherwise, it will shoot out and then you have problems. After that, hold everything down w/ a screwdriver as you slide the top half of the motor back over the shaft. That way, you can get the motor slid over as much as possible in hope to avoid the springs shooting out (Tip: don't touch the wires that the brushes are connected to, it takes absolutely no effort to bump them, and then the springs fly. keep it as steady as possible.) Then just fix the tabs like a said above, and then you can do the brass gear deal.

Hope something helps.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 01-06-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I agree, putting the brushes/springs was a major pain. At least it's back together. Did a test of the motor before doing the brass gear mod, everything works. Waiting on the adhesive to set then do the other side.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Headlight Motor Gear Q