General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hooray new car! booo minor problems(need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking chirping belt & also a front ticking noise

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I just bought a 99 camaro z28 with 80k miles. got it for 6,500. I love the car but I'm having some minor problems. This is my first camaro and LS1 so bare with any newbie questions i ask. I would really appreciate any advice or help i can get.

1 - I'm hearing a squeaking noise coming from the motor.(it sounds like a parakeet chirping under my hood) A mechanic friend of mine that works at a station thought it was the belt and tension pulleys since they were old and shakey. so he replaced them and the noise went away for a couple days. This morning I started up the car and there it was again. I mostly hear it when I first start it up and when I'm accelerating. It sorta goes away after awhile of driving but it always comes back after I let the car sit for awhile. I used a stethoscope to try and pin point the squeak and i think its coming from here..

that chirping squeaking sound is annoying as hell.

2 - I'm hearing a slight rattling noise coming from the front i think when I'm deccelerating. also hear it while turning and deccelerating. sounds like.. taca taca taca taca..?

3 - I think I need my brake rotors resurfaced? cause i feel a slow fast slow fast motion when im braking.

If anybody knows what any of these problems could be, please help me out.
Thanks in advance.

-Danny

Last edited by BlackBeastZ28; 01-09-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The squealing could be either the belt, idler pulley, belt tensioner, or any of the accessory bearings. i would replace the idler pulley, thats the one where your circles are at in the pic.

Ticking could be bent pushrods, which is an easy fix. These motors do naturally have a noisy valvetrain though, so it may be normal.

6500 for that car is a really good price. Post some pics of the car.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
i would replace the idler pulley, thats the one where your circles are at in the pic.
Looks to me like he circled the power steering pulley and has a "?" mark on the water pump pulley....but the idler pulley is between those two so it could be that as well, and of course the idler pulley is much easier/cheaper to replace than PS or water pump so I'd start with that one as well.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Check the thread for help on squeeks.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/574307-squeeky-pulley.html

It's the holy grail for squeeky Ls1's. Be sure to read the whole thing.

Btw, thats your power steering pump that you have circled. However, since you have a 99, I'm willing to bet that this is your problem https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=29
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Idler or tensioner pulley on either your main, or air conditioning belts.