General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

shavings in the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shavings in the oil?

i recently changed my oil(about 3000mi ago) and found that there was a little bit of shavings on the end of the magnet. I kept on goin with the change(oil looked dark but nothing crazy), and the shavings kind of crumbled in my fingers as i took them off the drain plug. I have now run the car another 3000mi and done an oil change and have found NO shavings at all on the end. I am kinda still uneasy about this since Ive never owned a vehicle that gave shavings. the car runs ok otherwise and doesn't seem to have an issue. Are those shavings actually just junk build up or something? I ran my car hard at one point, but havent really in the past 3-6 mo....lol maybe im just being paranoid!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats completely normal, just use a strong magnet and it'll remove most or all of the chips. Next oil change I'm adding a oil drain plug magnet.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright thanks guys, the car is gettin up there mi wise(its the GTP btw) and quite frankly theres no way id put in another engine in it! It is really fuzz rather than a SOLID metal shaving, but ive never had it with any of the engines ive ever owned. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a ticking time bomb or anything.....