General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cold morning starts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold morning starts...

Battery only puts out 10V in cold weather (~40 F in Houston), but 15V when it's warmer.

Brand new Duralast battery... alternator was replaced 2 months ago.

If i rev it up to 4-5k for a few seconds, the battery voltage will jump up to 15V.

Not sure what the heck is going on, but I guess I'll go to Autozone and get the new battery tested just to be sure it's holding a charge properly.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean 10V while running on the gauge when it first starts? Sounds too low, sounds too low even with the engine off reading off the terminals too. Think you're doing the right thing by getting it load tested, if for no other reason just to eliminate it. Is it a reman alt from a parts store? My buddy went through a couple before springing for a new GM unit to solve a similar issue.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the alternator was working just fine with the old battery, but then one of the cells died, so I had to replace it. This battery is acting strangely for a new battery. I would expect odd charging behaviour to disappear after a few days.

And yes, I mean it's only showing 10V in cold weather, the lights are dim, etc. It won't rise until i nail the gas for a few seconds... which is relatively dangerous if you are driving in the wet haha
Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Most anything electrical from Auto Zone wont work or has some major issues. Best going to Checker or Napa.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

what type alternator did you put on? I know I had a high output one on my Tahoe and due to it being a "1" wire harness, I had to give it a touch of gas for the stater to work and then it would charge fine (all this was when it was cold as well)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

well it was the Duralast alternator from Autozone... so hopefully it was 1 to 1 connections :o
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok... battery checked out fine.

Alternator on the first run on the machine performed poorly. The battery sat at 11v and would not charge past that (running at 2k rpms while test is going on).

Second test (1 minute later), battery suddenly starts getting charged and runs up to 14.5v while running car at 2k rpms.

Soooooo first run alternator was crap, second run it worked great. Only problem I've had with alternators was total failure (0 output current) and low output current. I've never heard of one having low current, then high current. Loose wire somewhere???