General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Faulty Cat. Convertor: will my dyno run be inaccurate?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Cat. Convertor: will my dyno run be inaccurate?

Hey,
As I'm sure most of you have learned, the TA's cats are known to be faulty... I have had my right bank replaced recently, and now the left bank is clunking and rattling like the other was.

My question is because I'm scheduled for a group dyno day meet on Sat. and and I want to know;

if these cats all fail in the same way? and if yes,
do they fail in a way that decreases power output?

I just want to get nice accurate baseline numbers on my car before i install any bolton mods.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If the SES light is on, yes numbers may be down a little.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

in case you didnt know, i recieved a letter from pontiac saying that there is a recall on the factory cats and you can get them replaced at no charge if they go bad, your local dealer would have more info, if you didnt know this already....
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02Bird
in case you didnt know, i recieved a letter from pontiac saying that there is a recall on the factory cats and you can get them replaced at no charge if they go bad, your local dealer would have more info, if you didnt know this already....
Not sure what year the original thread posters car is but,

FYI, recall only applies to '00-'02 LS1s. Not the '98-'99 cars. '98/'99 have a slightly different cat/Y-pipe/manifold setup than the '00+ cars, using different parts.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Just Sat No To !CATS........hehehe
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black02Bird
HAHAHAHAHA guess what happened to my dumb *** when i took it to the dealership??? I had an annoying rattle at lower rpms and i didnt take time to check it out myself cause im an idiot, so i took it to the dealer. They checked it out and said i needed to rebuild my rear end, quoted me $1800... (for some stupid reason i didnt get a 9 inch for $400 more ) so i went ahead and did the rebuild. Now i leave the dealership and guess what?? still a rattle. I go home and check it out myself and its the dam passenger side cat... so im out $1800 for no reason . Last time i EVER take my car to a dealership and i let them know about it.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
Just Sat No To !CATS........hehehe
Just say no to deleting your cats?
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

i know about the recall.
i have an 02 ws6.... and i had one replaced already... the second one wasnt replaced at the time because it wasnt faulty yet. now it has gone bad and i dont have time to get it fixedd before the dyno run.

i did get an SES light a week ago for only about 10minutes, and it went away, i know sometimes codes will go away but still be stored in the computer. so im not sure if it blew out any obstruction in the exhaust and the code went away, or if it just looks like its gone away.

at any rate... the dyno will happen soon, then boltons, LT's, HFC, QTP, LID and then dyno again.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

cool. well i got the numbers back.

unfortunately, i was told the shop would have a dynojet, and it was only a dynapak axle dyno.

The numbers were 350hp and 354tq.

I think these numbers are ~10% higher than dynojet, so that would be about 315whp / 320 tq.

does that sound about right for a bone stock 02 WS6 6spd?
i thought the torque was going to be higher than the horsepower by more than five!!?

Search this Thread