General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fog lights 1 is brighter than other!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights 1 is brighter than other!!!!

Has anyone ever had this problem, i just noticed that one of my foglights is alot brighter than the other. What could it be? also ive replaced my right turn signal bulb like 10 times and it keeps poping/or burning out. HELP!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I thought one of my foglights was brighter so I bought new bulbs and took some regular SOS Pads to the glass...they are now the same..lotta build up of crap on glass I guess...don't know what to say about your turn signal..unless the lens is cracked and you are getting water in there....
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

probably the cheap crap stock fog light is letting moisture in. when that happens the moisture corrodes everyhitng leaving the reflectors all dull and flaking. The bulbs burn out constantly because the moisture in the housing. I had the exact same problem with mine.. the only thing you can do is replace the fog light it with stock or with much higher quality Hella Micro DE's like I did on my car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/480273-new-fog-lights-my-z-pics.html
Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
probably the cheap crap stock fog light is letting moisture in. when that happens the moisture corrodes everyhitng leaving the reflectors all dull and flaking. The bulbs burn out constantly because the moisture in the housing. I had the exact same problem with mine.. the only thing you can do is replace the fog light it with stock or with much higher quality Hella Micro DE's like I did on my car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480273
Ive had a couple of people say that maybe one bulb is getting alot more watts/power than the other, is this posible? i know nothing of electical
Old 01-21-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One could be getting the correct amount of watts/power than the other because of the moisture that is in the lens has corroded the connections between the bulb and the metal tabs in the socket. Take the bulb out and look at the connection and see if there is any corrosion/crap stuck in there. 90% of the problems with turn signals and fog lights is moisture. When you replaced the turn signals was any wettness in the assembly or was the orange paint on the bulb crackled and flaking?? If so you have moisture in the assembly corroding the bulb and connectors.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
One could be getting the correct amount of watts/power than the other because of the moisture that is in the lens has corroded the connections between the bulb and the metal tabs in the socket. Take the bulb out and look at the connection and see if there is any corrosion/crap stuck in there. 90% of the problems with turn signals and fog lights is moisture. When you replaced the turn signals was any wettness in the assembly or was the orange paint on the bulb crackled and flaking?? If so you have moisture in the assembly corroding the bulb and connectors.
there was some moisture when i would replace the turn signul bulb. So how can i keep moisture from doing this again to my lights
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have heard people take out the turn signal assembly and coat the back of it to prevent any moisture coming in through the cracks, and also when i changed mine i took some cooland liquid gasket and put it on top of the rubber gasket on the socket but I have no idea if that will stop it. Also hear one guy drilled drain holes in the bottom but that sounds iffy to me if you hit a deep puddle. With yours i'd take a good look at the socket in the fog light and look for corrosion and clean it pretty good with baking soda and a brush and I took some compressed air to mine to get all the crap out of it (mine had little rocks and crap stuck in it). Hopefully this will take care of your issues, if not it is going to be a bitch to hunt down what may be killing your voltage and you may have to replace a fog light or other parts in the electrical system. But i say go ahead and try the coating and cleaning and see if that takes care of it. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Default fog lights

Sounds like moisture to me. I replaced my stock 889 or 893 37 watt lights with 885s which are 50 watts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Can almost drive at night with JUST THE FOG LIGHTS. If you have 880, 889 or 893 fogs now try some 885s. BIGHANK
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastss
Has anyone ever had this problem, i just noticed that one of my foglights is alot brighter than the other. What could it be? also ive replaced my right turn signal bulb like 10 times and it keeps poping/or burning out. HELP!!!
I'm with you on this one. My foglights and running lights kept blowing out. Everytime I replaced them there was alot of water in them and a couple of weeks later they would blowout again. I simply pulled the housing's off the car a drilled a 1/4" hole on the bottom at the lowest point so the water can get out and haven't replaced another bulb since. I figured the water getting in there somehow (and I don't drive in the rain) so there's got to be a way for the water to get out.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys I have an 02 TA. At night can barely tell if the fog lights are on or not. I can turn the headlights off and the turn signals pretty much out just as much light as the fogs. I'm the first owner of the car and its been this way since new. Never thought much of until I bought a new truck and the driving/fogs are much brighter. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Better bulbs might fix that.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually just went through the same thing..

One light was brighter than the other.. So I took them out, tried to clean them, etc..

Plugged them back up and now the dim one is bright and the old bright is now dim..
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

yeah i had the same problem, my drivers side was much more dull...i took out the foglights and checked them out. There was lots of crap in there so i decided to wash it out (big mistake) and they were almost impossible to dry out. So now one of them keeps getting all foggy. I also went out and bought some Silvania Silverstars and stuck them in there...i was incredibly unhappy with how much "brighter" they are so i returned them. I am just going to order brand new foglights.

Quick Reply: Fog lights 1 is brighter than other!!!!