General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

play in steering wheel?? high beams flicker not clicking sometimes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default play in steering wheel?? high beams flicker not clicking sometimes???

ok i got play in my steering wheel like you can move the steering wheel from left to right maybe 1/2" or so them i noticed tonite if i have the tilt adj all the way down my high beam flip some times doesnt click into place and just goes back to low when you pull it back???? anybody know anything about this i have heard there are 4 bolts down in there that could be loose causing this? would this be the cause also of my high beam flip someitmes not clicking into placewhen pulled back?? help!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a recent post similar to this, One member said something about a retaining bolt located in the tilt nuckle that is known to back out. He also said it was a PITA to get to.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

OW GOD !!!!! ok wheres a how too on this???? somebody got a diagram of this ? Im open for ideas, i would just like fix it .........
Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Its not hard just look for the steeringwheel nuckle ro the right of the drivers side header and just make sure all the bolt are tight. Also check your power steering fluid level.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Steering knuckle bolt, tie rod ends, or inner tie rod.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

something i noticed wierd tonite is where i usually have it tilted the high beam wont flick and lever wont click it will pull back but want stay in high beams just goes back to lows then if you tilt the steering wheel up the highbeams lever willclick into place fine???????? help what gives??????
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hey I got the exact same problem on one of my cars. I was just going to adjust the high low beam switch. But after reading this I walked outside and tugged on the steering wheel and it moved just like you described. I'll have to take a closer look at it here in the next few days

Also what we seem to be talking about is not play in the steering system it's self but movement in the column. Like in mine I can grab the steering wheel and move it side to side a little, not talking about turning it but just moving it side to side. Other then that the steering(relationship between the sterring wheel turining and the tires turning) is tight in my car
Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea and beleive it or not you can put a little force down on the steerig column and it being raised all the way up on tilt and it will come down with a little force not touching the tilt lever any ??? its wierd and im just probably going to swap columns like one out of a 200 or 2001 .....if i can find one...