General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

180,000 miles and its all falling apart, now the power steering pulley??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 180,000 miles and its all falling apart, now the power steering pulley??

well i just spent the previous two weeks replacing my water pump with an electric one because it had failed. now that I got it up and working, the power steering pump also broke. I thought the belt had broken last night when i lost my steering and the alternator, but upon looking in there tonight, the power steering pulley seems to have pretty much come out of the pump. It slides in and out. anyone have any suggestions other than going without p/s? it was a mega bitch trying to drive home without it. also, what do you guys recommend for replacing if that is the case. gmpartsdirect quotes 300$ which seems way rediculous. this car has had all of the accessories die in the past two months (waterpump, a/c, alternator, and now the p/s). any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

(1994 firebird formula)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I was going to say fredbeans would be a good choice but I just saw you have an lt1 and its even more expensive that gmpartsdirect.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

The pulley on my P/s pump is doing the same thing...every couple of weeks it will begin to make the belt start edging off. The pulley is pressed into the pump so yes...its a sign of bearing failure and pump needs to be replaced...

Josh
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Teching In

well i'm guessing the gmpartsdirect thing is for the entire p/s kit, autozone has it for like 70$ plus a core charge. Is replacing the p/s difficult? do you have to bleed it and how?