General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start, possibly battery connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, possibly battery connections

Ok so heres the problem. Left the car in my driveway, 99 Z28, for about 2 - 3 weeks because it was icing and snowing bad, plus I had a slow leak in a tire. I go to start it the other day, notice the volt meter is around 7-8, car clicks when trying to start. So I go to get a jump and when I try to start, all the power drains and i hear one initial thump/click when i turn the key. The radio clock dims a lot and everything else shuts down and I see the meters all reset when I let go. I changed the battery, changed the positive terminal because it looked quite a bit corroded, checked the ground made sure it was connected good and cleanly. The negative terminal looks pristine as well. When connecting jumper cables I didn't see too much spark at all, had to try to get spark to come off of the jumper cables. So I am out of ideas of what to try, it seems like its just not getting enough juice, but even hooked up to jumper cables it still doesn't want to try and crank.
Hopefully its something very trivial.

With the new battery and wiring the car is reading between 13 - 14 volts. Radio and everything works fine, just won't crank at all when I go to start.
Car was encased in ice for about 2 - 3 days after the snow and ice storm.

Thanks in advance!!

- simmeth

Last edited by simmeth; 03-12-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

1st thing I would do is double check the cable end you put on. I have seen many people install improperly causing the concern you describe. If that's ok, do a volt drop on the cable to the starter; see if the cable needs to be replaced. If that's ok, then check for good starter ground.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Launching!

dude i just went through the same thing with my 94 formula. went out to hit the key and nothing just click click, i was like WTF!!! so i started with the basics, bought a new battery and intalled it, nothing! so i bought a new starter installed it and nothing!! by this time i am so ready to hit the junkyard with this goddamn thing! So i read my dealer tech manual and it said check the ground and positive, so i did as you did and replaced the positive coming off the battery and just gave a visual check to the ground. put everything back together and still not a damn thing. well whatever so i figured the only thing i had not replaced is the ground. Even though it was in great visual shape i replaced it anyway. With a new battery, new starter new psitive and new ground with all new ends i hit the key..................and she fired up
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

I just went back out there with another person to test the ground. With the key in the ignition and lights and everything on, we disconnected the ground cable and everything stayed on. With the e-brake pulled up the lights come on when i turn the ignition on. I thought they only come on after the e-brake is released. So im guessing it may be grounded somewhere else, possibly near the starter?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

My bet is on your faulty solenoid/cable of the starter. Raise securely the vehicle and check that connection. Take it off, clean around it. The same applies to the positive cable from the battery to the starter. Check the resistance with your favorite voltmeter (set in Ohms). My positive cable was half eaten by the spilled acid from the Duralast battery.

"To check the solenoid, connect a jumper lead between the battery (+) and the "S" terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is OK and the problem is in the ignition switch or in the wiring." page 5-8 (Haynes)

My advice is to get that $12 book :-) Of course, a Service Manual would be better (more $$).

Last edited by darom; 03-12-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple test for positive and grounds. Put your voltmeter between the negative terminal and a good ground - should read 0 - hit the starter, should read 0. Do the same for the positive - terminal to starter - which ever reads a voltage is bad.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simmeth
I just went back out there with another person to test the ground. With the key in the ignition and lights and everything on, we disconnected the ground cable and everything stayed on. With the e-brake pulled up the lights come on when i turn the ignition on. I thought they only come on after the e-brake is released. So im guessing it may be grounded somewhere else, possibly near the starter?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Disconnected the ground at the battery?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

It would help if you posted your signature describing your car. If it is an auto, check the neutral safety switch (easy). You can check its operation with the voltmeter as well.

Check the banks of relays under the hood (ignition one comes to mind).
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Ok. Thanks for replies everybody, I will try everything when I get home from work this afternoon. Info about the car since i haven't created a signature yet.

'99 Silver Z28 M6, 103K miles, Front and Rear Sway bars, SFC's, Lingenfelter Intake Manifold, 85mm MAF, Smooth Bellows, Air Lid and K&N Filter, Loudmouth Catback, !CAGS.

As a last resort I was going to push start the car. Advisable? Or should I check everything first before trying that?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Question Now What?!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

Ok. I figured out what was keeping the car from starting. Just the thing that LT14MULAWS-6 mentioned. I replaced my ground connector and wire brushed all the connection points on the ground. Also wirebrushed the positive cable into the fuse box area. Car started right up. BUT, as soon as the car fired up, it was making a horrible clacking sound, sounded like it was coming from the engine. The car had been sitting for 2 months or so without being started, encased in ice etc. What could be causing the noise from the engine?? I shut it off immediately because i didn't want anything to get messed up with the internals. Any input greatly appreicated.

Possibly condensation or moisture mixed in with the gas?

Thanks,

simmeth

Last edited by simmeth; 03-24-2007 at 07:32 PM.