General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear wheel Hub Bearing assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear wheel Hub Bearing assembly

My driver side rear wheel hub bearing is making clunking noises when turning left and has some play when you tilt the wheel back and forth. Anybody know of where i can get a new rear wheel hub bearing assembly, i can only find the front assembly online. Is the front the same as the rear? i would think not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a hub, it is a roller bearing press-fit into the axle tube. To replace it you have to remove the axles, get the bearing out, and press a new one in. Also if the bearing is really that bad, the axle could be chewed up too bad to reuse.

Use a search, you'll find some pics. You'll basically be doing an axle service, and you'll need a slide hammer. Taking the axles out is a little work but is fairly simple.

If it is really so bad that the axle has actual play in the bearing then you need to get in there and check it out asap. If it goes kaboom (or if you already have a roller bearing or two chunking) you'll have little roller bearing chunks floating around in your diff and that is not a good thing.